11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2013 8:15 AM by louie23

set up page print out with this type of form

louie23

Hello,

I'm just wondering how to set up a print output with this kind of form, which on the left side are the Course, Title, Final and Credits (pls see attached file)

And on the right side are other details needed. I believe, I'll just be using the Header and the Footer for other details on the First part and Last part of the form.

So, in order to see all the course, subjects, grades and credits taken by a particular student, on the layout report I used the List View type. But, I'm not just

sure how to include other details needed of the report like the O.T.R Date Issued, Registrar Remarks etc. which is placed on the right side of the form.

Any suggestions how to do it best?

Thank you and all the best FileMaker!!!

• 1. Re: set up page print out with this type of form
          mikebeargie

Hi Louie,

You're actually looking at a plain old regular form view for this. You could put everything in a body part without a header or footer.

It looks like it will only ever be one page, so you can set your body part to be one page of size.

The left column looks like it should be a portal to a related table of records. The rest of the fields look like they should be populated from the parent record.

• 2. Re: set up page print out with this type of form
            louie23

Thanks for your reply Mike,

But I'm just anticipating what if second page will be needed to print all subjects and grades from 1st to 4th year,

what do you think the solution for that?

Thanks!!

• 3. Re: set up page print out with this type of form
              mikebeargie

you would then need to add a trailing grand summary object with everything below the left hand column (not valid without seal). This would allow for you to place a large enough portal to accommodate all the records you need (IE 100 rows), and set it to slide up and compact. The trailing grand summary would then appear below the portal.

• 4. Re: set up page print out with this type of form
                louie23

Mike, just a clarification please. Do I have to create only one portal (set to 100 number of rows) from first page extended to the trailing grand summary? Then I set already to slide up,

but unfortunately I can't find compact.I have only three options here after checking "set to slide up", - all objects above, only objects directly above and also resize enclosing part - and I chose all objects above. Do I got it right?

I set only the body part of the layout then the trailing grand summary for other records needed. Thanks

By the way, its exactly the same form will be used for the second page if needed

• 5. Re: set up page print out with this type of form
                  mikebeargie

it's the slide up/reduce enclosing part option. Yes, you add as many portal rows as you need (in layout mode it will extend the portal for pages and pages down). It should extend to the end of the body part, but not bleed over into the trailing grand summary part.

• 6. Re: set up page print out with this type of form
                    louie23

Mike, I'm not just sure if the last or other record would not bleed over "not valid without seal" I wish the last record of the first page would be placed before or a little bit higher than "not valid without seal". The length of the form from the top to the last part where I wish to see the last record is 11.5 inch... Is that possible?

• 7. Re: set up page print out with this type of form
                      mikebeargie

the bottom line that goes across the form right above the "not valid without seal" message should be the TOP of your trailing grand summary. Everything below that line should be in the trailing grand summary. If you want space between that line and the last record in the portal above it, just add in some space below the portal before the final line.

• 8. Re: set up page print out with this type of form
                        louie23

I got it Mike, but what would be the print output with the second page if ever. Would it be placed down after each column of TERM, COURSE, DESCRIPTIVE TITLE, RATING ? etc. ( Inside the provided box )

Then, how about the name of the Dean or Rector, is footer part be needed to place that?

• 9. Re: set up page print out with this type of form
                          louie23

Any "other" input with regards to set up print output, because I'm just thinking, if second page can be printed out with the same set up with the first page?

• 10. Re: set up page print out with this type of form
                            mikebeargie

You need to be patient. We're volunteers here and we help in our free time. If you're looking for immediate assistance for mission critical applications, I'd suggest looking at hiring a consultant to assist you based on your schedule.

That being said, I don't think you're really grasping what I've been saying, so it's easier for me to make a sample file. Look at the attached file in layout mode and it should make sense to you.

While making the sample, I notated the two following caveats:

1) There will always be a blank page after the first page if there is only one page printed. This is a caveat of sliding portals on print layouts. There is a "ghost" area, even after the portal slides, that leaves a trailing blank page.

You can account for this caveat via a printing script set to only print the first page if the count of related records is below a certain threshold. IE:

If (Count(related records::a) > 35 )

print 2 pages

else

print 1 page

end if

2) You can forget the trailing grand summary part, and keep everything in a body part.

• 11. Re: set up page print out with this type of form
                              louie23

Thanks Mike for all the suggestions and assistance, highly appreciated. And thank you as well for the sample file, though I can't use that 'coz we are still using FileMaker 11, our appreciation. Hope if you have this in filemaker 11, we can open it.