2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2013 4:08 AM by jlsdesign

Is there a simple way to create an Input Mask?

jlsdesign

Hi, I have read thru Help screens etc plus viewed several tutorials on line plus reading thru' The Missing Manual for FMP12 in an effort to identify a method of creating an input mask as per MS Access.

The purpose is create specific layout of data in fields such as Telephone No's / Bank Acc No / Credit Card No etc. Example of telephone mask is "(xxx) xxxx xxxx" where the parenthesis and spaces are automatically applied.

I have very little experience with FMP but I am excited about the potential especially when compared to MS Access 2010.

Any help to point me the right direction would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Is there a simple way to create an Input Mask?
          brian.curran

I have this set up for a Sort Code field, we type 123456 into the field and it's formatted at 12-34-56

It's self explanatory and easy to amend for phone numbers, credit card numbers etc.

Add a 'Text' field to your table and call it SortCode or whatever you prefer. Double click the field or hit the "Options" button.

On the "Auto-Enter" tab, click the "Calculated value" check box then copy and paste the text shown below:

Let ( digits = Filter ( Self ; "0123456789" ) ; /*excludes all other characters*/

Case

( Length ( digits ) = 6 ; Left ( digits ; 2 ) & "-" & Middle ( digits ; 3 ; 2 ) & "-" & Right ( digits ; 2 )

/* sort code */ ;

Self /* error, don't modify user input */

) /* ends case */

) /* ends let */

Yes, MS Access made this task very simple and there are one or two other things that FM should have as standard but the trade off is definitely worth it...

Brian.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is there a simple way to create an Input Mask?
            jlsdesign

Thanks for the advice - I'll give this a whirl