4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2013 4:08 PM by disabled_Luna.media

How to create a new record with Applescript?

Dear all,

I am trying to script an Apple Script to find some data records in a Filemaker database and to create new records if the looked up data does not exist. Though code seems to be easy I do not get it to run. What I have:

tell application "Filemaker Pro Advanced" -- FM Pro Advanced 12 is used

go to layout "Companies" of window "MyDatabase" --works

create record --does not work

go to last record

set cell "Company" to "Testcompany"

end tell

If I run the script I get a error number -17005 and "create record" ist highlighted.

Does anybody has an idea? And: ist there anwhere a documentation for "Apple script and Filemaker"?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: How to create a new record with Aplle Script?
          keywords

What about making a FM script for the create record and set field steps and have you Applescript call that script? Might work.

• 2. Re: How to create a new record with Aplle Script?

Well, I want to realize it via Apllescript "only" on the one hand because I do not like "mixed" codes that has to rely that a certaib script in FM is not touched meanwhile, on the other hand it still is a question anyway how to do it with Applescript as it should work correctly.

• 3. Re: How to create a new record with Aplle Script?
              sporobolus

on 2013-07-03 24:52 luna.media wrote

I am trying to script an Apple Script to find some data records in a Filemaker database and to create new records if the looked up data does not exist. Though code seems to be easy I do not get it to run. What I have:

tell application "Filemaker Pro Advanced" -- FM Pro Advanced 12 is used

go to layout "Companies" of window "MyDatabase" --works

create record     --does not work

go to last record

set cell "Company" to "Testcompany"

end tell

>

> If I run the script I get a error number -17005 and "create record" ist

highlighted.

the code is basically okay; it is making some assumptions, but it can work, the

problem is not an AppleScript problem, but in the record validation; see the

help for error number -17005:

<https://www.filemaker.com/12help/html/create_script.13.21.html#1028556>

the solution depends on what validation requirements are being violated; for

example if a value is required, auto-entering a default value may help (and

your code can then reset it); it is possible to send data in the create record

command, but it is rather awkward as you must supply a list of field values in

creation order, so you may have to jigger the creation order to avoid stomping

on the values for auto-enter fields such as primary keys

ist there anwhere a documentation for "Apple script and Filemaker"?

FileMaker used to distribute a database that served as a reference in the

application folder, English Extras > Apple Events > Apple Events Reference.fp7,

but i don't see it in my FMP12A installation; there are lots of examples you

can google, and some usable reference material

• 4. Re: How to create a new record with Aplle Script?

Yey, you must be right. I defined a new simple table without any validation rules and it works there. Therefore I wil have to go through the diffferent validatiion rules to see what I do have to supply or check...  Thanks for the hint.

At "documentation" I have to say that I did not find much profund information; mostly very basic primers. Well, things will work out step by step...