1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 10, 2013 8:29 PM by davidd

Filemaker client crashing when connecting to ODBC on FMSA12

davidd

We are running FMSA12.0.4 on Windows Server 2008 r2 (64bit).

The server uses an ODBC connection to send and receive data from a MySQL database on a webserver (another machine).

When an FM client logs on to the server and accesses a screen that includes the ODBC data, Filemaker will randomly stop functioning.

Typically, this will involve a Find dialog box appearing where it says the find process is progressing. The process cannot be cancelled and even when left for an extended period it does not progress. The only solution is to disconnect the user in the Server Admin console.

After some research I found some references to similar situations which had been resolved by using different versions of the MySQL ODBC driver.

As such I have tried MySQL ODBC 5.01.07, 5.02.02, then back to 5.01.08 with little success. Version 5.02.02 seemed to reduce the occurance of the crashing slightly but not enough to make the system usable.

I have seem some references to reducing the time an ODBC connection can be left open but I have not been able to find controls for this in the driver software.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Filemaker client crashing when connecting to ODBC on FMSA12
          davidd

I think I have now identified the issue here is related to the use of portals.  On the layout I have included a portal which has a multi-criteria relationship (shows all records - although this is not particularly long at this stage). I removed this and the problem was resolved. I have now changed this to a relationship based on more specific criteria which displays a much shorter number of records. This seems to work effectively. I did note in the ODBC/JDBC pdf - Chapter 7 Supporting Standards, it says the SQL driver does not support FM portals. My guess is that the MySQL driver may have some issues with multi-criteria relationship setting but I may be wrong.