8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2013 7:03 AM by SteveMartino

Some Geocoding questions

SteveMartino

Hi forum. I recently watched "DevCon 2012 Session Recording: Mapping and Geolocation with FileMaker 12", which I thought was fantastic, and started playing around with that file and adding it to my little database. I was trying to tweak the html in Mr. Kunetz's Multiple_Points_2, with no avail. Was wondering (hoping) if anyone could point me in the right direction.

1. Hopefully easy. When I roll over a marker, I was trying to change it from reading "Marker 1" (for example) to the customers name. I cant just seem to figure out the way to pass it into the call to addMarker (instead of setting the title to "Marker "+i, set it to that value). I've been all over the google developer site, with no luck, nor could I find any examples that matched what I was trying to accomplish.

In the html, I was simply able to change 'click' to 'mouseover', then I can read the entire infowindow, but leaving the pointer on the pin still displays "Marker 1".

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

• 1. Re: Some Geocoding questions
          ThomasKunetz

Hi Steve,

Glad you liked it, it was great fun to play with too.

What exactly are you trying to do and which example are you referring to ?

Tom.

• 2. Re: Some Geocoding questions
            SteveMartino

Hey thanks for replying.

1.  I was just trying (unsuccessfully) to change some of the html code so when I roll over a marker, I get the customer's name in the map from my DB (in your 'MultiplePoints2' example it would be 'Company') instead of "Marker 1", etc.  I think I need to do more then that, in the database itself, but it's a beyond my experience.  I saw it does this in BatchGeo, so of course I want to try to get it into my DB.

2.  The second idea, which I won't try to get into until I learn a lot more, is, I liked in BatchGeo how it gave sort of a Picker Window, if you will, that allows you to group the markers into different categories, rendering different colors of markers with a map legend.  Of course that looks cool too .  But like I said, I'll save that for another day.

Here's a simple screenshot where I changed the Listener from 'click' to 'mouseover'.

Thanks for taking the time.  Any thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated

Regards,

Steve

Steveimage.png

• 3. Re: Some Geocoding questions
              ThomasKunetz

Hi Steve,

In order to show more information when clicked (or hover) you can use the field "info" I have created in the DB.

This field is used in the Custom Function to populate the appropriate data for each row.

HTH,

Tom.

• 4. Re: Some Geocoding questions
                SteveMartino

Thanks again for your guidance....I'm just not getting it....and that's solely my lack of understanding.

Info has "Company" name in the Custom Function, and it shows in the infoWindow, just not on the marker label.  I guess I cant figure out how (where) to change the HTML to make this happen.  Should I be looking at 'tooltip'?

Really I don't want to turn this into your personal project, as this isn't something I critically need, just trying to figure  it out.

Thanks for the help

Steve

ss1geo.png

• 5. Re: Some Geocoding questions
                  ThomasKunetz

Hello Steve,

Indeed the Marker is defined in the HTML. but it's content can come from FileMaker.

How did you add the MarkerLabel ?

Tom.

• 6. Re: Some Geocoding questions
                    SteveMartino

Hello, after a few weeks of searching for info in all places, and toying around, I still have no luck on figuring out how to get just the marker label to show "Company Name", or in my DB "Customer Name" when I rollover.  The info window works fine when I click, I see all the info (see my first screenshot), but cant figure out what/how to change this in the HTML (see last screenshot). Or maybe I need to add something to MarkersArray? 

I tried digging thru the code on BatchGeo for some clues, bought a book on Google Maps, and tried some online tutorials....thought I'd give this a bump to see if it gets any new traction

Thanks

Steve

• 7. Re: Some Geocoding questions
                      ThomasKunetz

Hi Steve,

This is indeed possible, let me have a closer look and I'll get back to you.

If you are attending DevCon in SD, let's meet.

Tom.

• 8. Re: Some Geocoding questions
                        SteveMartino

Thanks Thomas.  I will not make it to DevCon .  It will probably be awful...all that beautiful weather, sunshine, great restaurants, wonderful city, beach, etc.......lol