5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2014 3:36 PM by walterfo

Outlook window not appearing when using Send mail script

walterfo

Platform: 64 bit Dell Desktop running Win7 64bit with Outlook 2010 32 bit in a domain controlled environment ... all current updates applied.

Filemaker 12.0 v4 ... all current updates applied.

When a Filemaker send mail script step executes, the Outlook window fails to appear, the script does not return an error.

Send mail is setup using the email client and runs "with dialog". This script works fine on all of our 32 bit systems and on 64 bit systems that are NOT attached to our Windows server domain.

We think it has something to do with the Group Policies our Domain server is applying to member PC's ... but we do not know which of the myriad of options may be causing the problem.

Anyone have a similar issue? We'd appreciate your response.

• 1. Re: Outlook window not appearing when using Send mail script
          GaryTate

When I've seen this before it's been to do with system security settings. Somewhere (and I don't use Windows machines so you'll have to find it ;-) you will find a setting that allows/disallows external programs from accessing Outlook. By default this is set to disallow.

I hope that helps.

Gary

• 2. Re: Outlook window not appearing when using Send mail script
            walterfo

Thank you Gary … I’ll start hunting for that setting.  Anyone else out there who may know what that setting may be?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Outlook window not appearing when using Send mail script
              dburnham

On a Macintosh running Mountain Lion, the SendMail script step has stopped working again.  It was not working some time ago, and I believe thanks to a Microsoft update, they fixed it.  Now, it is broken again, and FileMaker returns Error 3 when attempting to create an email message in Outlook 2011 without a subject or messaage.  However, if the subject and message are present, it works fine.   I did not test to see if is just the subject or just the message - I ran out of patience with it.   But it is either one or the other - probably the subject because Outlook 2011 squawks when you try to send a message with no subject.

• 4. Re: Outlook window not appearing when using Send mail script
                itraining

Hi Walter

Seven months have passed since your post. Did you find a solution or workaround?

I have encountered the same problem.

Outlook 2003 works as expected.

Outlook 2010 fails but sometimes displays the message without the attachment on one computer.

SUCCESS on 1 Computer

Send Mail script step opens new message in Outlook with Attachment

FileMaker Pro 12.0v3

Microsoft Outlook 2003 v11.8

Windows 7 Professional 32 bit

Service Pack 1

RAM = 4 Gb

FAIL on 2 computers

Send Mail script step does NOT open new message in Outlook with Attachment

Send Mail script step sometimes opens new mail message without attachment on 1 of the computers

FileMaker Pro 12.0v3

Microsoft Outlook 2010 v14.0.7

Windows 7 Professional 32 bit

Service Pack 1

RAM = 4 Gb

Thanks in advance

Michael Richards

Brisbane QLD

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Outlook window not appearing when using Send mail script
                  walterfo

Michael;

Thank you for your response.  I was beginning to think I was a voice in the wilderness.

I have not solved this issue to my satisfaction.  Like you, I find very different experiences that lead me to think it has something to do with 32 bit .vs. 64 bit PC's and 32/64 bit Windows/Outlook installations.  Also like you, it does not seem to fit a clear pattern.  After hunting down and verifying the security setting suggested by Gary Tate in a previous post, I am no closer to finding a solution.

I have asked Filemaker for assistance but they cannot replicate the issue on their systems, even when I sent them a copy of the database where I was having difficulty.  I offered them remote access to our systems to see if they could catch the problem "in the act", but their legal department frowns on them using remote access to customers systems. ( Would like to be able to sign a waiver ... anyone at Filemaker listening?)

My gut feeling still points to something with the Microsoft Group Policies on our Domain server and a 32/64 bit annomaly.  I run the same group policies for my problem user (running 64 bit software on a 64 bit hardware platform) as I do on my 32 bit hardware and software platforms.  The 32 bit platforms work flawlessly.

Maybe we can get some others to "whine" about this and try to get the attention of Filemaker support to assist.

Thank you

Walt Otto