2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2013 2:22 AM by User18523

Web Viewer IE issue.

User18523

Hi I've deleted my last question and started over. I've seen various things around on this subject, but none actually answering the issue. I seem to be getting the lowest of the low versions of IE in the web viewer, no matter what I do. Win XP SP3 with IE 7 is the same as Win Server 2008 with IE10. Where's the control? IE is terrible at the best of times and the achilles heel of any web dev. Having to rely on a 'ninja' version that doesn't work properly is just daft.

Where do you control the web viewer's browser compatibility settings? Internet Options? No. FileMaker Prefs? No. Anyone? This is infuriating.

Thanks,

John

• 1. Re: Web Viewer IE issue.
          jormond

At the risk of sounding condescending ( which this is not meant to be, at all ), this is FileMaker's description of it in the help menu:

Web viewers use the operating system’s web browser technology, so you can perform many of the same tasks with web viewers that you can with web browsers. You can click links and navigate to pages other than the page the web viewer originally loaded. Web viewers can also display content on websites—such as PDF documents and QuickTime movies—for which you may need to install additional software. You can also control URL encoding.

Web viewers are not meant to replace web browsers. For some websites, you may need to open a separate web browser window.

You are stuck with what the OS provides. And it's missing some of the things the full browser has. It simply uses the browser's engine to process the request.

So with that said, what specifically are you seeing problems with? ( I know that is a loaded question, but it's how we all learn...and how FM hears the issues at hand )

• 2. Re: Web Viewer IE issue.
            User18523

You are stuck with what the OS provides. And it's missing some of the things the full browser has. It simply uses the browser's engine to process the request.

Gutted. It simply uses IE7 compatibility mode for anything, which as we know is the 'douchebag level over 9000' of browsers (since IE6 disappeared anyway).

So with that said, what specifically are you seeing problems with?

I have a drag and drop Javascript for uploading files to a webserver (dropzone.js). Whilst it works great on most OSes It doesn't seem to process the JS at all in XP or Win Server 2008, no matter what security settings I change in Internet Options, and no matter what flags I throw at the HTML (such as <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=Edge" />). I have it falling back to old school code which would work even on Netscape Navigator (a form with a submit button, way to wow your clients), but I wanted to use something from the 21st century, seeing as we're 13 years into it, how naive of me to assume such a thing!

Crikey we should have robots servants by now and hover cars, not a prehistoric browser limit!