1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2015 4:49 PM by andrewpokora

Hosting with Worldcloud

fmdeveloper11819

Does anyone have experience hosting with Worldcloud? I signed up for a trial and am getting many, many server disconnections and terrible customer service. No one picks up the phone except their answering service, and messages never get returned. When communicating through their online chat, the conversation doesn't get past a couple replies before the person on the other end disappears. In the meantime, multiple erroneous billings have come in for what was supposed to be a free 30-day trial, and no one at Worldcloud responds to email inquiries about it.

Is this the general experience, or are they having a bad run? I've been testing them for two weeks and it's been awful. Any recommendations on a better service? FM Gateway? Point In Space? I don't want to have to keep moving my clients around. It would be nice to find a reliable service for them that doesn't keep disconnecting. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• 1. Re: Hosting with Worldcloud
          taylorsharpe

I know someone who also had an slightly disappointing experience with Worldcloud, but it was only over billing issues and not service.  I recommend you check out Foxtail Technology or Productive Computing for hosting.  They may not be as inexpensive as Worldcloud, but I hear good things about them both. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Hosting with Worldcloud
            DavidJondreau

If the problem with moving your clients around is having to send them to a new IP address or to issue a new opener file every time you switch hosts, I highly recommend DynDNS.

I pay $25/ year for 30 custom hostnames ( fishdatabase.dyndns.info, acmefm.dyndns.info, etc). Those host names point whereever I tell them to. So, if I need to change hosts, the client never knows, I just switch the IP address their hostname is pointing to on the DynDNS website. It's very convenient and looks great to have a custom host name.

I am not affiliated with this company, just a satisfied user.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Hosting with Worldcloud
              fmdeveloper11819

Thanks for the info, Taylor.  I'm  surprised about  the service, because what's the point of a 30-day trial if they're going to rollout their worst welcome?  I can only imagine how hard it would be to get through to them once I'm actually signed up!  But I'll check out Foxtail and Productive Computing.  I'm sure my clients would be happy to pay a little more for a steady connection.

• 4. Re: Hosting with Worldcloud
                fmdeveloper11819

Thanks, David.  That looks like an interesting option.  How long have you been using their service?

• 5. Re: Hosting with Worldcloud
                  PointInSpace

Does anyone have experience hosting with Worldcloud?  I signed up for a

trial and am getting many, many server disconnections and terrible

customer service.  No one  picks up the phone except their answering

service, and messages never get returned.  When communicating through

their online chat, the conversation doesn't get past a couple replies

before the person on the other end disappears.  In the meantime,

multiple erroneous billings have come in for what was supposed to be a

free 30-day trial, and no one at Worldcloud responds to email inquiries

about it.

Is this the general experience, or are they having a bad run?  I've been

testing them for two weeks and it's been awful.  Any recommendations on

a better service?  FM Gateway?  Point In Space?  I don't want to have to

keep moving my clients around.  It would be nice to find a reliable

service for them that doesn't keep disconnecting.  Suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Have a look at our services as well:

http://www.pointinspace.com/

We've been providing Professional FileMaker Hosting for over 14 years.

All of our accounts include a 30 day trial.

- John

--

• 6. Re: Hosting with Worldcloud
                    fmdeveloper11819

Thanks, John.  I just looked at your site.  You'll be hearing from me as soon as I clear it with the client!

• 7. Re: Hosting with Worldcloud
                      s

Sadly, those experiences won't change after the trial. WorldCloud provides access via the Admin Console, which allows you to read and download the server logs, which I would recommend doing on the days when you have all those disconnections.

The only other service I have used is Point in Space, whom I recommend highly.

--

Steve Moore

fmdeveloper11819 wrote:

Does anyone have experience hosting with Worldcloud?  I signed up for a trial and am getting many, many server disconnections and terrible customer service.  No one  picks up the phone except their answering service, and messages never get returned.  When communicating through their online chat, the conversation doesn't get past a couple replies before the person on the other end disappears.  In the meantime, multiple erroneous billings have come in for what was supposed to be a free 30-day trial, and no one at Worldcloud responds to email inquiries about it.

• 8. Re: Hosting with Worldcloud
                        DavidJondreau

Two or three years.

• 9. Re: Hosting with Worldcloud
                          mikebeargie

We've had our FMSA11 VPS with worldcloud for a few years now. There was a frustration where they migrated data centers and our server was offline for two days or so, but I believe it was over a weekend.

Joe is a great guy and provided his personal contact info to our tech team for support. Usually their team answers fast, although there's a 3rd party answering service they use for their call in tech support that can be frustrating.

Since the migration, our VPS has functioned without any issues whatsoever, and has been quicker than trying to host in-house or collocate with our local ISP.

The price is also fantastic. And I believe he offers a discount to FMPUG members.

• 10. Re: Hosting with Worldcloud
                            fmdeveloper11819

Thanks for the info Mike.  That 3rd-party answering service does seem strange in an age when voicemail can get the message delivered more reliably.  And if no one's returning the calls, it's an especially strange investment for a company to make.  I feel like the trial pretty much showed the company isn't up to snuff and have recommended to my client to give Point In Space a try.  But thanks for letting me know about your experience with them.

• 11. Re: Hosting with Worldcloud
                              fmdeveloper11819

Good thinking about the server logs, Steve.  I'll check em out.  Thanks.

• 12. Re: Hosting with Worldcloud
                                s

Search for "Starting FileMaker Server" or your database name and "was not closed properly"

• 13. Re: Hosting with Worldcloud
                                  worldcloud

We make it a policy not to argue with clients, and/or former clients; but couldn't help myself. We have servers in seven countries and three full-time techs, along with several contractors from across the globe. Two of the techs are located within two of the datacenters we use, while myself, the bookeeper and a programmer reside in Tennessee, The use of  an answering service gets calls routed to the right people during the right hours. A live person always answers the phone and can make the determination between sales, support, emergency, etc. We always have a tech 'on call' so someone is always ready but we do not expect clients to keep track of this- thus the service, not to mention the service is manned 24 hours a day, so if an emergency happens they have a 'red folder' to know who to call. If a prospect simply wants pricing or non-emergency support- then we handle those request during business hours. We are aware of some providers which do not provide any telephone support, nor live chat, nor have staff in multiple time zones.

The author above suggested voice-mail over a live answering service, but if a user is having problems; would you rather talk to a 'real person' as opposed to a machine? We are constantly making changes, and will continue to do so, but the 'voicemail' advice is something we will likely not implement.

We also have a new 24 hour chat service, trouble ticket system, knowlegebase, and my cell phone number is on the bottom of every one of our web pages, along with a toll-free number; so I disagree with the implication that you no one can get a hold of us. We have found that well over half the people that claim to have problems have not bothered to open a trouble ticket- so without ESP, we have no way to know that they are having problems. We understand that FileMaker can act differently over a WAN, but many simply get frustrated and quit as opposed to focusing on the problem. One gentlemen above admitted that we spent over an hour with him on the phone, but yet did not call and/or open a trouble ticket before moving to another provider.

As for manually setting up accounts- we have almost 20 options on over 18 different hosting services in seven different data-centers. Options like ESS, which cater to professional developers, and are not easily automated. Many of the options within FileMaker Server where never designed to be automated. Example: there are no CLI commands for any of the Admin Group functions within FileMaker Server.

We would rather take a business day and set up the ideal account as opposed to give you a 'one size fits all' account and a glass of Kool-aid.

We have had clients migrate from virtually every provider. Even though I can only guess at the size of our competitors, we are certainly one of the largest FileMaker-centric providers in the country, so we realize that some people will jump to 'greener grass'. We have over a 99% retention rate with our clients. In many cases, we are aware of policies from other companies which we do not agree with, but this is not the place to 'throw dirt'. I could speak volumes about almost every case you could bring up with Worldcloud, and in 95% of those cases, the issue was not in the service. Example: every time FileMaker has a conflict with Java, we lose a dozen clients. We where 'highly encouraged' by FileMaker, Inc. to adopt their Admin Console; however, we are the first to feel the pain when conflicts happen- it's just sad that some clients just want to blame as opposed to finding a solution.

Instead of taking advice which may or may not be bias, i would encourage you to try our 30 day day trial and/or test out our 'free' hosting plans. If you wish to be objective, then take several trials and make an objective decision for yourself.

Thanks,

Joe King

CEO, Worldcloud, Inc.

865-384-8353

• 14. Re: Hosting with Worldcloud
                                    andrewpokora

This is complete nonsense. I was your client and faced a lot of problems. For all the problems I opened tickets. The problems have not been solved - and most of the tickets just went unanswered. Joe, can I publish the invoice number, which I did not get the services and all the letters - including you personally - that remain unanswered? About two months ago I applied to support close my account - and yet, still regularly receive invoices. I can not imagine what kind of "policy" you write here.

1 2 Previous Next