8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2013 1:30 PM by appdev

Script says Print 3 but 9 get printed

appdev

You really couldn't make this stuff up...

We have a client using Zebra Label Printers and after a recent print driver update (using a print server) the FileMaker script that runs the print job will now print the SQUARE ROOT of the number requested. So if your script says to print 2, you will get 4 and if you say to print 3 you will get 9.

The issue is specific to the Zebra driver and Filemaker since we can use that same driver with notepad and it works fine.

Any takers?

• 1. Re: Script says Print 3 but 9 get printed
          BruceHerbach

Actually you are printing the square of the number requested,  but math issues aside.  I suggest rolling back to the previous print driver and contacting Zebra and let them know there is an issue.  Sometimes it doesn't pay to update print drivers unless there is an issue. 

Last suggestion,  post your script to so we can take a look just to be sure there isn't a step that is requesting the square of the desired number of copies.

• 2. Re: Script says Print 3 but 9 get printed
            appdev

Ha! - yes, I rewrote my message (backwards) after I re-read it to make the #'s clearer, but forgot to change the square root bit.

The client was required to upgrade the driver based on OS/64 bit policy they had implemented.

THe script is super simple, printed correctly prior to update and hasn't been changed since, so new bahavior has nothing to do with script.

• 3. Re: Script says Print 3 but 9 get printed
              BruceHerbach

I hate to say this...but it seems to be a print driver issue. So I don't think you can fix it in FileMaker. See if the IT team can contact the printer company or temporarily allow the use of the previous driver.   The other alternative is to have the client buy more ink and labels for the printer..

• 4. Re: Script says Print 3 but 9 get printed
                appdev

Yes, I agree it is a print driver issue, but it is also specific to FM (as printing works fine to this printer from NotePad as mentioned in original post), plus I know the FM community uses lots of Zebra printers, so was hoping someone had run across a similar issue and had a reolustion.

• 5. Re: Script says Print 3 but 9 get printed
                  BruceHerbach

When you print a single label does it print the correct number?  If so can you capture the number of labels first and then put the print job in a loop and print them one at a time?  I know this is more work for you and the script and I'm not sure it will work....

Good luck

• 6. Re: Script says Print 3 but 9 get printed
                    appdev

Good thought Bruce and yes 1 label does work....however we tried that earlier and the reality is that because each printer is shared and very busy ( the jobs can be thousands of labels per job and 3-4 users hitting the same printer at the same time) then the print jobs get cross-pollinated and users have to sift through the labels to re-coolate their job. So looping print jobs is not an option.

• 7. Re: Script says Print 3 but 9 get printed
                      BruceHerbach

To bad that won't work.  For the short term unless you get a better solution see if IT can relax the policy and roll back to previous driver. Then contact the printer company and report the bug

Last thoughts have you removed the print and print format steps from the script, saved it. Then add the steps back in?  Along the same lines remove the printer definition from the local computer reboot then add the printer again.  Might remove some vestige of previous version that doesn't work with the new.

• 8. Re: Script says Print 3 but 9 get printed
                        appdev

I like your last idea of resetting the script steps. Will try that. Thanks.