5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2013 2:27 PM by ch0c0halic

Server (Service Errors)

Jason_Farnsworth

Has anyone been experiencing the need to stop and start the Windows Service for Filermaker Server 12.

I would seem that we are having to regularly stop the service and restart it due to Filemaker not backing up as per the regular scheduled backups.

The Facts:

We are having to Stop and Start the Service under Windows Service two to three times per month. (This is after we notice that we do not receive backups as scheduled).

FileMaker 12 Server

It does not seem to affect the hosting of the database, only the backup schedule.

Any thoughts would be great,

Jason Farnsworth,

Midland, TX

• 1. Re: Server (Service Errors)
          mikebeargie

We'll need some more details.

Is it dedicated to FMS12? (or running other services)

What size of databases are in your backup schedules?

Have you tried deleting and re-adding your backup schedules?

Server reboot recently?

Has it always been broken, or is this a new thing?

Anything in the logs?

The only thing I've noticed is that if you don't reboot your server and you have a small C:/ partition, your temp files can fill up to the point where the backups start failing until you reboot to clear the temp file cache.

• 2. Re: Server (Service Errors)
            wimdecorte

Are you seeing any errors or warnings in the FMS event log about the backups?

How are you establishing that the backups are not happening?  Just by looking at the admin console or by physically looking in the backup folders?

• 3. Re: Server (Service Errors)
              Jason_Farnsworth

Mike,

Thanks for the reply,

Is it dedicated to FMS12? (or running other services)

No there are other thing running on the server, such as PeachTree, and File storage

What size of databases are in your backup schedules?

121 mgb, 15 mgb

Have you tried deleting and re-adding your backup schedules?

Yes we have tired that on a couple of occations

Server reboot recently?

Yes, After each occurance as good measure

Has it always been broken, or is this a new thing?

Seems to be a long term problem, not sure if always

Anything in the logs?

The logs are clean or I am not sure what I am looking at,

Jason Farnsworth,

Midland, TX

• 4. Re: Server (Service Errors)
                Jason_Farnsworth

I thought I would attach a copy of the Event Log, for a better discussion on the matter. It does show a couple of errors.

Additionally I had a rather strange and first time occurrence this morning when arriving and getting to it.

We had one a portion of one layout go down, and then lost access to the entire layout. What was strange, I was able to go into the Edit layout mode open up another instance of that layout and it would work ok. However when starting with a fresh version it would crash Filemaker every time when tried to access that layout (via a menu bar). At first I had a link on the layout to take it to Table View and that one had gone down, but after a server restart we lost all access to that entire layout. This layout has had no real change in quite some time.

Ultimately I had to delete that layout and copy in back into the Database via a working backup copy. All seems to be functioning well at the moment, but I have a general concern as to why it happened in the first place, and will this be an on going problem. It would appear that somehow the layout had been corrupted, and was not accessible anymore.

Jason Farnsworth

Midland, Tx

• 5. Re: Server (Service Errors)
                  ch0c0halic

Jason,

My first guess is there may be a corrupted image involved.

Does this layout have any images on it?

Does it have any container fields on it?

Does it always open to a specific record?

Do you have any other layouts that show the container(s)? (Do they crash)?

I suggest you run a Disk checking program. Could be a bad sector on Disk.