2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2013 5:33 PM by tech_liaison

After 11 to 12 conversion, why did "use value list from other file" stop working?

Dennis_Carr

Hi all,

Didn't see anything like this in the forum history. Converted 11 to 12 multiple times as test. Got no error messages.

Now, value list in that drops in originating file will not longer drop in a second file using the "Use value list from another file". Drop lists in second file on same field do work if using entered values. I have many, many drop list setups like this throughout the muliple files. Tried calling Filemaker support line, won't offer help on this. Outside their preview.

Thanks.

Dennis Carr

• 1. Re: After 11 to 12 conversion, why did "use value list from other file" stop working?
          Dennis_Carr

Found, initialization bug. No wonder no replies to this. I had to add to the same layout the same global field and add the same drop list from the other file that wasn't dropping. Then the new field and old field both started working. I removed the new field and the old field continued to work. I so far have had to go to every layout with the other files remote value lists and repeat the process. Really, no one has seen this before?

Thanks.

Dennis Carr

• 2. Re: After 11 to 12 conversion, why did "use value list from other file" stop working?
            tech_liaison

Sorry for the late reply. You've probably already solved this one, but just in case it helps, here's my diagnosis: dynamic value lists are compiled from the field indexes, so it sounds like the index of the field that is the source for the list was nuked during the conversion. I suspect the field causing the problems may have Field Options > Storage > Indexing set to "Minimal" with "Create indexes as needed" checked. If you're still having the problem, you can try changing the Field Options > Storage > Indexing setting to "All," which will force FileMaker to build an index for the field immediately (could take more than a few seconds for a large database). Likewise, if you're ever experiencing problems with an indexed field, you can rebuild the index by first setting the Storage option to "None", save the changes, and then go back in and re-enable indexing on the problematic field.

HTH,

Dave