5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2013 10:46 AM by raphthepenguin

Solution for excersise 4.3.3 in Filemaker 12 Training Series

raphthepenguin

Hey there,

I am new here and new to filemaker! I am learning the whole program right now by going through the fat book "Filemaker Training Series".

I am slowly making my way through and get to learn the programm, so I can build a Database for my Organization.

Now I arrived in Module 4 and there are 3 Excersises, a Demo video is supposed to show the solution. However it is only showing for one and two! Can anyone give me a detailed solution for 4.3.3?

That would be great!

Thanks

Raph

• 1. Re: Solution for excersise 4.3.3 in Filemaker 12 Training Series
          mikebeargie

Most of us don't have a current copy of FTS lying around. Can you post the exercise and what answer you believe it is?

• 2. Re: Solution for excersise 4.3.3 in Filemaker 12 Training Series
            SteveMartino

Your right!  Good catch

@ Mike  The solution is the Demo Movie, starts out saying "we're going to show your how to do the 3 solutions in the exercises (paraphrasing), then after the second solution, it stops.  Maybe it was an add on to the book that wasnt updated in the videos?

• 3. Re: Solution for excersise 4.3.3 in Filemaker 12 Training Series
              raphthepenguin

Excactly, the Video does not cover the last task.

I am not sure if you use the same exersises in an older version but here is the task:

Create a relational value list that contains only the adresses related to the customer that has been specified for the order. Set both the Billing Adress ID and Shipping Adress ID to display as a drop down list using this value list. (Solution Pic included).

As for the solution I am honestly stuck in the first step.

I know I have to create the relation in the Relationship Tab of Mangage Data Base. But I am stuck with what I am to do there (As I said I am just learning now)

After that I will Create a Relational Value List and link it to the fields. I think I probably can handle that one. But I am not sure what creation I have to create.

I hope this is understandable!

Thanks

• 4. Re: Solution for excersise 4.3.3 in Filemaker 12 Training Series
                mikebeargie

Create a relational value list that contains only the adresses related to the customer that has been specified for the order.

File > Manage > Value Lists

Create a new list

Use values from a field

In the options box that pops up, read and think about everything there.

You are creating a value list with fields from the addresses table (assumably an ID field, then some sort of display field)

You want to ONLY show the records from the address table that are related to the customer table.

Set both the Billing Adress ID and Shipping Adress ID to display as a drop down list using this value list

Once you've created the above list, you just format the two fields above on your orders layout to use the above value list. The goal is that once a customer ID is selected to the order, the value list will update to ONLY display addresses of that customer. If customer is not selected, the menu should return blank.

Your relationships should already look something like this:

ORDERS ----- have one ----- CUSTOMER ----- has many --<-- ADDRESSES

If you don't have those three tables related this way, then you need to update your file > manage > database graph before you make the value list.

• 5. Re: Solution for excersise 4.3.3 in Filemaker 12 Training Series
                  raphthepenguin

Thanks for your help! I got it now!

I still struggle a little bit with the relationships and how they work. If there is a good recource that explains it on an easier level then reading 60pages in the book again, I would be thankful if you could share it with me!

Thanks again!
                  Great help!