4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2013 12:58 PM by erolst

Conditional Value List in Portal - Update Row Field, Same Field in All Rows Changed

datarunner

I currently have the following structure:

Client ----< Proposals-----< Projects------< Surveys

ClientID ProposalID ProjectID SurveyID

ClientName ClientID ProposalID ProjectID

ProposalName ProjectName

I have two value lists defined:

1) List Populate Proposals - set to use values from Proposals:ProposalName, including only related values starting from Client

2) List Populate Projects - set to use values from Project:ProjectName, including only related values starting from Client

I then have a layout using tabs so end-users can be on one client and go through the tabs containing portals for all of the flow-through data and to enter new information (I had seperate layouts initially but it didn't work for the flow of work with end-users and was not intuitive enough for them.)

The issue:

I am able to add new proposal names, and when I then go to the projects portal and click on a popup menu (populating with my dynamic value list) to select the proposal to relate it to I see all the possible proposals for the client (this is as it should be.) However, when I select the proposal name it fills all the other projects records with the same proposal name. The same issue occurs on the survey portal populated the project name list for that client. I've attached screen shots as I step through it to try and make it more clear.

Any help would be appreciated, I feel like I'm missing something obvious. Thank you! - Leah

• 1. Re: Conditional Value List in Portal - Update Row Field, Same Field in All Rows Changed
          erolst

Leah -

I can't see your Relationship Graph (maybe post that one, too; and a JPEG or PNG would be nice…), but from your description it seems what you actually need is a new relationship from Client to Projects, which works via a global that you set by selecting the Proposal_pk from the Proposal portal to match it with the Proposal_fk in Projects (that was a mouthful, sorry). What you're doing at the moment is working within the normalized structure and messing with the primary keys of the actual Proposal records; you don't want to do that!

So on the tab in the second screenshot, a simple selection portal showing all proposals of this client is enough (you already have a Proposal tab to work on the details, you don't need to rehash those here). Put a button on the proposal name to grab the ID and set the global (and don't display/use the Proposal ID in the portal! Name and date should be sufficient to identify the desired proposal.)

Projects tab:

Client (your UI TO)                               ---->              Projects_forClient (new Projects TO)

--------                                                                      --------------------------

click in Proposal Portal to set:

gSelectedProposal_ID                          =                  Proposal_fk

gives you all Projects for the selected Proposal, or lets you create new ones. You simply circumvent the Proposals TO (which in its current forms shows all Client proposals) and use a utility key to filter directly from Clients on Projects.

Hope this helps.

• 2. Re: Conditional Value List in Portal - Update Row Field, Same Field in All Rows Changed
            datarunner

Thanks so much for your reply - I got pulled off the project for a bit and I'm just coming back to my issue.  I'm going to dig into your suggestion now and test....

• 3. Re: Conditional Value List in Portal - Update Row Field, Same Field in All Rows Changed
              datarunner

I've attached a snip of the DB, it's fairly extensive but I included the piece that I believe pertains to this issue.  Although my portal data is being controlled from my current relationships, it does not appear to be changing my primary key in proposals as you suggest.  It's PK is an auto-generated ID number and it's altering the ProjectName, not the ProjectID.

I don't believe I'm able to solve this with your suggestion because I want to display all projects under a client, for all different proposals on the project tab.  I need to see the proposal name for specific projects in a list, as well as have the ability to add new ones in the same location (e.g., select the proposal by name from a drop-down of all proposals for that client, then add a corresponding project under that specific proposal).

Or am I completely misunderstanding your suggestion?

Relationship Snip.JPG

• 4. Re: Conditional Value List in Portal - Update Row Field, Same Field in All Rows Changed
                erolst

OK, it's been two weeks, a bit difficult to get back into track; I just realized that when you say

select the proposal to relate it to I see all the possible proposals for the client (this is as it should be.)  However, when I select the proposal name it fills a

Where – I mean in which fields – do you work with those value lists you created? Or do you set a flag in a related proposal record? Your ERD only shows natural tables, there are no filtered UI tables or selection globals; that's what I mean when I say "you work within the natural structure". When a new project is created, how does proposal_fk know where to pull it's value from?

Try this example and see if it get's a bit clearer. You could use the same machanism on another to select a project and show its surveys; or you could combine everything in the Client - Proposals - Projects - Surveys hierarchy on one layout/tab. But don't forget that you need a new global field for each entity you want to temporarily select.