2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2013 9:51 PM by kaostika

Detect Sent Email

kaostika

Hi, Is there a way to detect from Filemaker when an email is sent. For reasons of accountability we want to use the Default os X mail client. I am thinking of using applescript to maybe detect the window name (the window name is the subject name and I can populate that ) and then when it closes. But if the just close the email it wont work.

Oreste

• 1. Re: Detect Sent Email
          sporobolus

on 2013-07-17 15:32 kaostika wrote

Hi, Is there a way to detect from Filemaker when an email is sent.  For reasons of accountability we want to use the Default os X mail client.  I am thinking of using applescript to maybe detect the window name (the window name is the subject name and I can populate that ) and then when it closes.  But if the just close the email it wont work.

that will not be reliable; user could also quit Mail; what i think you should

do is query the subject lines of emails in the Sent mailbox; still not

foolproof (users can copy emails into Sent on their own):

Perform AppleScript[
          "set target_subject to \"whatever...\"¶
          tell application \"Mail\"¶
             tell sent mailbox¶
               count of messages whose subject is target_subject¶
             end tell¶
          end tell"
          ]

if you want something more accountable, bcc to another email account and

confirm that it receives the email with the intended To: address

• 2. Re: Detect Sent Email
            kaostika

Ok. We only need accountability so the email is checked before sent out.  We don't want to use the FM SMTP. Checking sent folder is good.

Oreste