7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2013 6:23 PM by hbenditsky

Accessing FM Pro 12 db from FM 12 2Go on iPad

hbenditsky

Using my iPad and FM 2go I can easily access the DB running on my desktop as long as I'm on my home network. I want to access it when away from home via FM 2 go. My desk top accesses the web via a cable modem and a Netgear N600 dual band router WNDR3400. I understand that I have to forward port 5003 in order to accomplish this. Are there any other adjustments needed? Do I have to create a static IP address, change any other router settings, change any desktop or FM settings etc. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Accessing FM Pro 12 db from FM 12 2Go on iPad
          mikebeargie

You should have a static IP address, just as an ease of use thing. It will require an update from your ISP most likely.

You should forward incoming port 5003 to the LAN IP of your host computer (192.168.__.__) in your router.

Filemaker hosting is pretty cheap, might be worth it to just host your file with triple8, worldcloud or some other service and they'll take care of the above for you.

• 2. Re: Accessing FM Pro 12 db from FM 12 2Go on iPad
            hbenditsky

Thanks for your reply. My router appears to allow me to set a static IP address, is this equivalent to getting one from my ISP ( without the up-charge!)? My router allows me to forward a port, how do I determine if it is incoming or outgoing? Also I  notice that the port forwarding option asks me to specify HTTP, or TCP, etc. What is the correct choice?

• 3. Re: Accessing FM Pro 12 db from FM 12 2Go on iPad
              mikebeargie

Port 5003 is TCP

Port forwarding in any router is designed to funnel incoming traffic, unless it explicitly states outbound.

The static IP settings in your router is what you set AFTER your ISP designates the address for you when you've called them to upgrade your line. If you try to set it on your own, you will break your internet connection. You must contact your ISP to get a static IP address.

• 4. Re: Accessing FM Pro 12 db from FM 12 2Go on iPad
                hbenditsky

What is the down side of staying with a dynamic IP? Will the process still work?

Sent from my iPad

• 5. Re: Accessing FM Pro 12 db from FM 12 2Go on iPad
                  mikebeargie

Theoretically yes, but it will be a colossal pain in the ass when you're not at home some day and your IP address was cycled by your ISP, and you can no longer connect until you return home to look up your new IP. Also, it IS technically possible that you'd be sharing a non-static IP with other computers on your trunk, so if someone else was trying to host or connect to filemaker, they could either break or discover your computer. Static IP is the only way I would recommend.

Honestly if you're the only one using it, I would just copy it to your iPad when you're on the go, and copy it back to your computer when at home, that will make it run faster on your iPad, and also be free of any requirement for a connection (or any upgrades to your home network as well).

If sharing and remote access is a mission critical need, then you should host it the right way, not skimp where it can (and will) cause frustration over and over for you down the road.

Triple8 will host and backup two databases for you for $20 a month. You'd already be paying probably $10/month for a static IP to do it yourself, and not have a support contact like you get with Triple8.

http://www.triple8.net/hosting_filemaker.htm

There are other hosts as well, but seriously look at what you'll be using the file for, and make the best choice based on those needs.

• 6. Re: Accessing FM Pro 12 db from FM 12 2Go on iPad
                    BruceRobertson

Or consider using a dynamic DNS provider, you get a link through them and even if your IP address changes they still link to you corrrectly.

http://dyn.com/dns/

• 7. Re: Accessing FM Pro 12 db from FM 12 2Go on iPad
                      hbenditsky

Thank you. Do you happen to know if triple8 is HPPA compliant?

Sent from my iPad