6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2013 5:45 PM by sporobolus

Tight Integration with Apple Mail

bob@harlow.com

Has anybody got a hack for either of these items:

1) In Apple Mail, "Add Sender to FileMaker" - should work like AddSender to Address Book.

2) in Apple Mail, when you type a name in the TO or CC section of a New Message, we would like a dropdown list of all matching names in FileMaker (like currently happens with Address Book)

Thanks in advance for any insights on this issue

Bob Harlow

bob@harlow.com

415-419-5781

• 1. Re: Tight Integration with Apple Mail
          taylorsharpe

Basically you want to change the UI of Apple mail to talk directly to a FileMaker solution and I doubt you will find one.  But maybe someone else around here will have some input and I'm interested to hear if someone has too. 

The other way to do things is have FileMaker be your complete mail application.  Instead of sending and receving email with Apple Mail, you could use FileMaker to send and receive mail.  You might want to check out CNS's mail plugins to accomplish this.  It actually is pretty slick.  Unless you put a lot of time into it, the Apple Mail UI will always be nicer.  But with FM, you have complete control to do what you want and to change the UI behavior. 

I actually created a solution like this in FileMaker for a solution that received a lot of "send mail" from a web page that needed processed in FileMaker.  Their Outlook solution would get weird when the mail database sizes got really large.  But with a real database solution, size isn't a problem and the big benefit there was that the receiving program, FileMaker, had not issue with the amount of email to be stored and indexed. 

• 2. Re: Tight Integration with Apple Mail
            bob@harlow.com

Regarding Item 1) I found an app, http://www.automatedworkflows.com/products/software/mail-to-filemaker-importer/ that can be configured to automatically pass incoming data like the sender name and address to a Filemaker file.  Then I can set it up so new records land in a holding area and can be checked to see if they are new to the primary database, and if so added.  The user won't have to touch anything for this to work.

Regarding #2, it seems like an easy answer is to just let the user keep using Add Sender to Address Book.  Then the names will be in the drop down list in TO or CC when needed.  No need to replace Mail in this scenario.

• 3. Re: Tight Integration with Apple Mail
              taylorsharpe

It sounds like you are on top of it.  Thanks for sharing the automated work flows link.  Most intriguing and I learned something. 

Yes, I would go with your #2 choice too. 

• 4. Re: Tight Integration with Apple Mail
                sporobolus

on 2013-07-18 13:47 bob@harlow.com wrote

Regarding Item 1) I found an app,  http://www.automatedworkflows.com/products/software/mail-to-filemaker-importer/ http://www.automatedworkflows.com/products/software/mail-to-filemaker-importer/ that can be configured to automatically pass incoming data like the sender name and address to a Filemaker file.  Then I can set it up so new records land in a holding area and can be checked to see if they are new to the primary database, and if so added.  The user won't have to touch anything for this to work.

if you'd like something a little lighter weight and more customizable than that

Automator app, a fairly simple AppleScript, which you could put in Mail's

Script Menu and assign to a keyboard shortcut, could add the sender to a

database; an AppleScript to trawl a folder for senders to add would not be hard

either

Regarding #2, it seems like an easy answer is to just let the user keep using Add Sender to Address Book.

there are also several solutions for making Address Book entries from FileMaker

records

• 5. Re: Tight Integration with Apple Mail
                  bob@harlow.com

Steve,  Would you have an example of such an AppleScript?  That would eliminate the need to store addresses that are clearly not needed.

Bob

• 6. Re: Tight Integration with Apple Mail
                    sporobolus

on 2013-07-18 15:18 bob@harlow.com wrote

Steve,  Would you have an example of such an AppleScript?  That would eliminate the need to store addresses that are clearly not needed.

here is a barebones script; if you have the Script Menu active, you can put

this in ~/Library/Scripts/Applications/Mail and it will appear when Mail is

frontmost

tell application "Mail"
                       set the_message to selection
                       set the_sender to sender of item 1 of the_message
                    end tell

-- assumes FMP is running and a database is open on an appropriate layout
                    tell application "FileMaker Pro Advanced"
                       set the_table to a reference to current table
                       tell the_table
                         set r to create new record
                         set cell "email" of r to the_sender
                       end tell
                    end tell