2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2013 1:15 AM by RubenVanDenBoogaard

Updating the FM 11 plugins using FMS 12??

RubenVanDenBoogaard

Hi,

I have converted a FM 11 solution to FM 12. In the FM 11 version I used the AutoUpdate to install

plugin's in the /Users/<user>/Library/Application Support/FileMaker/Extentions/

But FM 12 installs new plugins into:

/Users/<user>/Library/Application Support/FileMaker/FileMaker Pro Advanced/12.0/Extentions/

When I update the plugin's with newer ones (in my case 2empowerFM_Menu_Popper and 2empowerFM)

FileMaker crashes because there is an older version in the old Extentions folder.

Has anyone found a solution for this?

Best regards,

Ruben van den Boogaard

Infomatics Software

ruben@infomatics.nl

• 1. Re: Updating the FM 11 plugins using FMS 12??
          BowdenData

Ruben,

If your users are all on 12, then remove the plugins from the pre-12 location and use the new method in 12 to manage and install plugins.

If users have a mixed selection of FMP11 and FMP12 databases that they will use AND have some of the same plugins, then you should have the shared ones in the pre-FMP12 location. Having said this, most plugins should be now be able to handle having the same one in the two locations. I know that some of the 2empowerFM plugins failed as you describe when FMP12 first introduced a new folder to store plugins. I thought that the developer had fixed this though. When FMP12 loads, it looks and loads plugins from the old location first, then looks in the new FMP12 location, and then finally in the really old location inside the actual application folder (in the Extensions sub-folder).

See this FMI article for more info:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10097/~/installing-and-updating-plug-ins-in-filemaker-pro

So, make sure you are running the latest version of the 2empowerFM plugin. It might be good to contact the developer for assistance as well.

HTH.

Doug

• 2. Re: Updating the FM 11 plugins using FMS 12??
            RubenVanDenBoogaard

Thank you Doug,

I contacted Chris from Dracoventions and there is a problem with the older plugin's which don't like to be installed in more then one place.

Het has fixed it in the latest versions but I have to remove the old versions manually.

The article you mention states that FM looks first in the Programs folder/Extentions then in the new FM 12 folder and then in the old AutoUpdate folder.

So I can put FM 11 plugin's in the old folder and FM 12 plugin's in the new FM 12 folder.

Have a nice weekend!

Best regards,

Ruben van den Boogaard

Infomatics Software

ruben@infomatics.nl