1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 22, 2013 8:49 AM by LyndsayHowarth

Strange font issue

flybynight

I'm designing a layout for Mac and Windows, doing most of my work on the Mac. I had read somewhere here that Tahoma was a good choice for cross-platform layouts to minimize shifting. But, being in the prepress department of a printing company, we have tons of fonts and use Suitcase font management software. In my font library, I have 3 versions of Tahoma: Postscript, TrueType and OpenType-TT (the TrueType version of OpenType).

In my testing, I have found the OpenType-TT version to be the most consistent with whatever is on the Windows computers. (The main difference I was seeing is how bold styling appears.)

I think I had created most of my layouts assigning everything to the regular TrueType version, then after testing, I switched to the OpenType-TT version of Tahoma. Some of my fields reverted to Helvetica. OK, I changed what fonts I have loaded, so I get it. But, when I tried to re-apply Tahoma, I get this message:

The selection contains fields whose storage option language is incompatible with the chosen font or text objects whose characters cannot be displayed by that font. The font will not be changed for these items.

Hold down Command and Option keys while choosing a font if you wish to override this protective action.

Holding cmd-opt while selecting the font seems to work… but this message just seems odd. I checked several of my fields, and they all have English as the storage option.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks!

-Shawn

• 1. Re: Strange font issue
          LyndsayHowarth

I would have thought you would get your best cross-platform compatibility with the TrueType. The message you are getting about the OpenType-TT is because it's format is not understood by FM to be an english font.

Windows pinches pixels... always has! There is always some amount of shift and in windows the text object usually has to be a bit bigger to display the same text. (Disclaimer: I havent' tested with v12 of FM and Windows 8)

- Lyndsay