10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2013 1:23 AM by Hemant Kumar Patel

Draw objects in FM GO and interact with them.

Hemant Kumar Patel

Hi,

I am going to develop a FM DB for a restaurant and client wants that he should be able to draw the top view of the 'Table Arrangement'.

And after that he would be able to interact with those tables to take orders, billing etc.

For elaboration-

- Client will draw the table arrangement (same as he has it physically) first. (say he draws 5 tables- 2 round and 3 square ).

- Now he can see tables in layout as he have them physically in dining room.

- Now taps on a table to take order against it.

the solution is intended to be used on FM Go on iPAD.

I have searched the web and found some utilities such as GoDraw but it only saves images, and one can not interact with drawn objects.

So is it any how possible to do with Filemaker? or I should go with a hard coded top view of Table Arrangement for client?

• 1. Re: Draw objects in FM GO and interact with them.
          PeterWindle

What if you created a layout with multiple containers across the screen, each one with a table image inside it?

This would work well if your floor plan is rectangular or square in shape.

Layout a grid across the layout, number of grids might depend on how many tables across a floor, your example mentions 5 tables, so a 3x2 grid should be enough. For each grid box, it is a container that can store the drawn image.

Of course, this means that each time a table is moved, chairs are added/removed etc, the image in that grid area also needs to change.

Perhaps you can have one layout that allows editing the images and another that allows you to book the table. Indeed, you could even take a photo of the table and include details about the table (table number, number of seats etc).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Draw objects in FM GO and interact with them.
            mbraendle

I would implement this with a WebViewer, a data:// URL and one of the high-level HTML5 compliant graphical JavaScript libraries.

Some inspiration what is possible:

http://www.clicaps.ethz.ch/librarynavigator/index.php?lang=en   (this is a FileMaker Custom Web Publishing enabled solution)

My slides and example at:

http://www.filemaker-konferenz.com/downloads.php

Definitely, you have to elaborate with your client what he means with "drawing".

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Draw objects in FM GO and interact with them.
              Hemant Kumar Patel

Thanks Martin,

Firstly I thought it will not be possible, but you have changed my mind.

I have started playing with WebViewer control recently and found it a powerful tool, but after visiting your link I realise that WebViewer is much much powerful than I thought.

Before start working on it I think I should give a research to WebViewer, specially how to store/modify values in native Filemaker fields when interacting to a WebViewer.

Can you point me some good resources and guides to start with?

• 4. Re: Draw objects in FM GO and interact with them.
                steve_ssh

Hello Hemantpatel,

If you have not yet come across the following Beezwax blog by Brian Schick, I suggest you take a look:

http://buzz.beezwax.net/2012/04/21/native-web-2-0-controls-in-filemaker-12-layouts

It is an article that covers using the webviewer to create an enhanced UI, including the aspect of getting data from the webviewer back into FileMaker proper.

It is well-written, and was a big inspiration to me when I first read it.  Hopefully you may also find it informative and inspiring.

Best regards,

-steve

• 5. Re: Draw objects in FM GO and interact with them.
                  Hemant Kumar Patel

Thanks Steve,

I have already came across that article, and downloaded their sample DB file but was not able to understand custom functions interacting with fields.

It seems I have to give it a careful reading.

~Regards~

Hemant

• 6. Re: Draw objects in FM GO and interact with them.
                    mbraendle

Hemant,

there are several possibilities to pass data from WV to FM and from FM to the WV.

FM to WV:

With FM Pro or FM Pro Advanced:

- by file. If you look at my FMK 2012 sample, you will see that I pass field values via an XML file that can be parsed by the ProcessingJS "canvaslet".

- by URL

- by data URL, passing either JSON or an XML string

On FM Go, you can only use a data:// URL

Personally, I prefer passing by XML (also because ProcessingJS can easily parse XML), but this is a matter of taste.

From the WV to FM by modifying the either the HTML or the URL with the updated data, and reading it out using either

GetLayoutObjectAttribute("objectname_of_your_WV"; "content")  or GetLayoutObjectAttribute("objectname_of_your_WV"; "source"), respectively, and a custom parser function.

The readout can be triggered either

- by a manually actived script

- by an OnTimer script that checks whether the content or the URL was updated.

• 7. Re: Draw objects in FM GO and interact with them.
                      Hemant Kumar Patel

Thanks Martin for this quick information.

It's very useful.

• 8. Re: Draw objects in FM GO and interact with them.
                        Hemant Kumar Patel

Martin,

I have given it a try, in a test DB with one WV and a field to test making changes in FM field while interacting to WV.

But I stucked on the first step.

When I tried to read the Content and source of WV after making change, It was not changed as GetLayoutObjectAttribute("objectname_of_your_WV"; "content") and GetLayoutObjectAttribute("objectname_of_your_WV"; "source") returns the same source as it was set in Web Address.

How should I update the data in source or in URL and read the changes?

I am attaching my test DB below.

• 9. Re: Draw objects in FM GO and interact with them.
                          budnail

To start with - I love the idea of using the web viewer as others have suggested. I have been able to use it to do some pretty amazing things to get over some of FM GO's limitations.  So if you have the time, definitely learn the in and outs and put it to work.

But on the other hand, if your time and patience gets short, here is a low tech idea.  If he does not already interface to FM Pro or Server so that his data is fed live to the back, Suggest he use one.  Then use a two file solution located on the workstation or server. Give him layout editing capability for the table arrangement file, where he can arrange images you provide that have scripts attached, representing his tables using filemaker pro.

Have a back up version of the layout in the edit file and the non-editable file, in case he accidentally deletes it.

I know there are downsides to giving the customer this much capability/responsibility. But in the few cases where I've trained my customers to make simple edits like this it has never been a problem and in fact led to more work as they played arround and saw more possibilities.

• 10. Re: Draw objects in FM GO and interact with them.
                            Hemant Kumar Patel

Thanks Budnail for suggestions.

I am learning the advanced use of Webviewer, but the idea to train client to make small changes is also good.