11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2013 4:21 PM by keywords

how to delete entries from auto-complete choices?

dmcsinger1

Hi - i'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but please redirect me if not. Thanks in advance. I'm using Filemaker Pro 11 and would like to keep the auto-complete function on but be able to delete certain choices that it comes up with. Is there a way to do this? Thanks!

• 1. Re: how to delete entries from auto-complete choices?
          LyndsayHowarth

You are in the right place.

We welcome all questions from beginners to experts... (There is always something new to learn ;-)

The auto-complete is either on or off... and it will use the 'index' of the field (ie the values already in the field) to show the suggestions.

The alternative to auto-complete is to use valuelists.

Imagine you had another field which was called "use in valuelist" and accepted only Yes or No. That field would also have an auto-enter of the text "Yes".

Then, you had another field which had a calculation which said : if(use in valuelist = "Yes"; Your_existing_Field_name; "")

This would give you a field to use to make your valuelist with which only had the values you want to show in the popup menu.

Obviously if you don't want to have the value you have to enter the word "No".... so wouldn;t it be easier to create another valuelist with Yes and No as their values and make it a radio button. (you could also do this with a checkobx with only Yes in the valuelist so the field is essentially empty or has Yes in it....

I hope this helps

- Lyndsay

• 2. Re: how to delete entries from auto-complete choices?
            dmcsinger1

Thanks very much Lyndsay!  that does help - I'll just have to learn a little more as I go,

Dawn Marie Chmiel

585-645-5545

Please remember to say a prayer for our military every day.  

"Soldiers that carry their lives in their hands, should carry the grace of God in their hearts."

• 3. Re: how to delete entries from auto-complete choices?
              BowdenData

Dawn,

Lyndsay offers a nice solution, but I wanted to ask if the values that you don't want it to show/offer up, are valid or perhaps they are bad entries? When I say bad entries, I mean where someone perhaps entered data with a typo.

Example: A database has a field called "stateName" and the intention is that this will hold the full name of US states. Right now, it has 3 records in it.

Record 1: Arizona

Record 2: Alabama

Record 3: Idaho

User creates a new record and types the letter "A" in the field, it will show the two values of Arizona and Alabama as possible values. The user needs to enter Alaska, so they type it in, but they mistakenly enter "Alasska" and move on without realizing the error.

Next user creates new record and types the letter "A". Now the suggested list of values includes the mispelled entry. This person sees this and enters the correct spelling of Alaska in the new record and moves on.

Next user creates new record and types the letter "A". Now the suggested list contains both the correct and incorrect spelling of Alaska.

Now you have a classic case of "dirty" data.

If this is your situation, then taking into account what Lyndsay said about the values in the field across all records (its index), you would need to clean up the data. In this example, you would do a find in the stateName field for the bad value(s) and correct them. After fixing, the suggested list of values pick from, will be correct.

Tip: In browse mode, click in the desired field and press "cmd-i" (Mac) or "ctrl-i" (Win) keyboard shortcut. This will show the index of that field. You can then perhaps spot the the bad values.  In find mode, while in the field, you can bring up this list as well, except that now you can choose a bad value from the list and click the Paste button in the dialog box. Then perform your find. This is a quicker way to find bad entries. 

The next step if this is your situation, would be to come up with a way to prevent bad data from getting entered in the first place. There are a variety of methods of doing this included user training. Suggestions would depend on your exact situation, so can't offer much at this point.

Apologies if I have gone off on a tangent or mis-interpreted your current skill level.

Doug

• 4. Re: how to delete entries from auto-complete choices?
                dmcsinger1

Hi Doug - I think your solution is what I'm looking for - I've got a few fields that have some typos in them and looking to get rid of them while not turning off the autocomplete.   I'm going to try it and I'll keep you posted.  Thanks!

Dawn Marie Chmiel

585-645-5545

"Soldiers that carry their lives in their hands, should carry the grace of God in their hearts."

• 5. Re: how to delete entries from auto-complete choices?
                  dmcsinger1

Doug - thanks again for your help.  I've gotten to a certain point now but am unable to delete the bad entries.  Any suggestions?  

Dawn Marie Chmiel

585-645-5545

• 6. Re: how to delete entries from auto-complete choices?
                    keywords

If I could put in my tuppence worth here …

An even trickier version of bad data, as nicely explained by Doug, is when there is, say, an extraneous space or two, eg. "Alaska  " or " Alaska". This is much harder to spot than "Alasska" but just as problematic in some instances.

• 7. Re: how to delete entries from auto-complete choices?
                      BruceRobertson

That's why the command "Insert from Index" is so great.

Safest to use while in Find Mode, it lets you see all these variations.

• 8. Re: how to delete entries from auto-complete choices?
                        BowdenData

Dawn,

Find the bad entries by going into Find mode and place the cursor in the desired field. Under the Insert menu, select the "From Index..." command or use the keyboard shortcut of cmd/ctrl-i (Mac/Win). Select the bad entry from the list (you can manually scroll the list or you can type a letter or two to narrow in on what you want), and then with the bad entry highlighted, click the Paste button and then perform the find.

Now that you have the found record(s) with the bad entry, you just need to manually put the correct value in the field by typing it in, pasting the good value over the existing text, or whatever.

If you have multiple records found with bad entries, manually correct the field as described above, but keep the cursor in the field (or if you have clicked out of the field, just click back in it). With the cursor in the field, go under the Records menu and select the option "Replace Field Contents..." (or cmd/ctrl =). The dialog will ask you to confirm that you want to change ALL the records in your CURRENT found set with the current value. If you say okay, it will zip through all the found records updating the field.

Be VERY careful with this command. It is very powerful, and thus can be disastrous. Read more about this command in the Help. To be safe, I suggest that you have a backup of your database on hand before doing this work. I would also caution you against using this command if other users are actively using the dB at the time. The replace will fail on records that others might have locked because they are editing a record.

I think that I have explained this reasonably well, but let us know if this still doesn't make sense. As mentioned, read up in the Help about the Replace command and also the Insert from Index command.

Doug

• 9. Re: how to delete entries from auto-complete choices?
                          dmcsinger1

Thanks again - I think this is what I'm looking for.   I really do appreciate all the time you spent on this!

Dawn Marie Chmiel

585-645-5545

• 10. Re: how to delete entries from auto-complete choices?
                            BruceRobertson

When doing the find mode index thing, you may want to use quotes after making the selection but before performing the find.

The index might reveal these values for instance:

Here I have a leading space on the first item; no spaces; and a trailing space on the third item.

Alaska

Alaska

Alaska

If you select them one at a time and put quotes around them

WHILE IN FIND MODE

First you will search for

" Alaska"

Then you will search for

"Alaska"

Then you will search for

"Alaska "

• 11. Re: how to delete entries from auto-complete choices?
                              keywords

Specifically to remove leading and trailing spaces you can use the Replace field contents (but beware of its brute force!) selecting Replace with calculated result and use the calculation Trim ( yourfieldname ).