5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2013 3:10 PM by BobGossom

New version of Java - Does it 'break' Server 12

filemakerguru

Apple Update is trying to intall version 2013-104.1.0 of Java. In the past this type of upgrade killed the AdminConsole for FMS 12 and made it necessary to do a clean install of FMS

Has anyone performed this Java update with any ptoblems?

Thanks

Richard

• 1. Re: New version of Java - Does it 'break' Server 12
          taylorsharpe

I'm not famliiar with that nomenclature.  The latest Java, directly from the Java downloads web page (http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp) is Java 7 Update 25.  This came out around June 18th and has been used a lot successfully with FileMaker 12 products.  It was un update to Java 7 Update 17, which also worked find with FileMaker 12 products. 

The big Java issues people will have is if they are using an old Mac with 10.6 on it or before because those OS's will not support Java 7.  There were a number of Java 6 issues with the FileMaker Admin Console, particularly on Macs.  The only Java 7 issue I have run into is that via screen sharing, the screen sometimes does not refresh a Java window and I have to play games of minimizing it and expanding it to see the contents of the Java window.  This is not a problem if you interact directly with a monitor and often this problem goes away if you plug anything into the hdmi port.  Apparently this problem has to do with multi-media security trying to keep people from copying illegal movies, but it messes up screen sharing for Admin Console sometimes. 

• 2. Re: New version of Java - Does it 'break' Server 12
            Aigaion

I've run into a problem, but don't know if it is related to Java or another issue.  I'm running Mac 10.8.4 on 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo machine with Java 7 Update 25.  I uninstalled Filemakere Server 12 from the machine earlier this year.  Reinstalled it yesterday, but the Admin Console will never open from the browser - so no way to access the server.

Will appeciate tips on what may be going on and how to fix.

Thanks,

Mike

• 3. Re: New version of Java - Does it 'break' Server 12
              JavierDura

>> Will appeciate tips on what may be going on and how to fix.

Create a new user in your Mac and try it again from the new account.

• 4. Re: New version of Java - Does it 'break' Server 12
                Aigaion

Thanks for the tip.  Tried it and could not log on, but got a different type of error.  Will try again.

Mike

• 5. Re: New version of Java - Does it 'break' Server 12
                  BobGossom

Mike,

The latest version of FMPS won't install with Safari on Mountain Lion. I had the same problem, then switched to Firefox and the install went through. Once it is installed, Safari worked to access the server console.

Bob Gossom