11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2013 7:34 PM by jormond

Locked myself out

DanielShanahan

One of my tables is a JOB table and I want the ability to for the office staff to manual lock a record. This usually happens after a job has been scheduled and the customer has been called. This works great except for one small problem - I can't unlock it! I've painted myself into a corner.

I have a privilege set named "Admin" and the Records are "Customized privileges..."

JOB table, in the Edit column is "limited...", defined as appointmentStatus="Unlocked"

JOB::appointmentStatus field is a pull-down field and I've attached a script trigger OnObjectModify that changes "Locked" to "Unlocked" and runs with Full Access privileges (the problem doesn't occur with Full Access). However, the script never runs; I get the message that my privileges do not allow this action.

Any ideas how I can change the JOB::appointmentStatus within this privilege set?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Locked myself out
          mikebeargie

have you considered using a $$state variable in your locking as well?

Basically, change:

appointmentStatus = "Unlocked"

to:

$$state = "Unlocked"

Then, instead of using a field value, you can use a session variable that is set at the beginning of your script and reset via an OnRecordLoad trigger (to re-lock everything when you're done). this would also negate the need for you to run a script with the full access.

I'd love to say I've tried this and it's worked, but I'll admit I haven't put it into practice.

Let me know offhand if this does work, would be nice to demo it at COFMUG if it does.

• 2. Re: Locked myself out
            DanielShanahan

Thanks Mike.  Not clear how this would help.  Perhaps you can attach a sample file?

Speaking of which, I've added two sample files to my original post. LockedRecord_pum.fmp12 attempts to change the status of the record by using a pop up menu (pum).  LockedRecord_btn.fmp12 attempts to change the status of the record via a button (btn).

There are two accounts: Admin and Jdoe.  There is a new Privilege Set: "Admin" (in retrospect, this is confusing - I should have named the privilege set different than an account).  Security is set up as such:

Admin     Full Access

Jdoe       Admin

A script enables quickly toggling between accounts.

The issue is that when logged in as Jdoe there is no way to change the status of the record from "Locked" to "Unlocked".

• 3. Re: Locked myself out
              mikebeargie

Daniel,

I was just theorizing that state variables are exempt from the record conditions of which your privilege sets are being constrained by.

I've done a quick sample here though,

Admin || -no pass-

test || pass (custom priv set)

See if this is anything close to what you need. The button "unlocks" the record, and the lock resets on open, and OnRecordLoad via a trigger.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Locked myself out
                DanielShanahan

I neglected to run the button with Full Access privileges.  That did the trick.

I attached a third file to my original post - LockedRecord_btnFULL.fmp12.zip  This runs the button with Full Access privileges, so even logged in a Jdoe I am able to change the data in the Status field.

• 5. Re: Locked myself out
                  mikebeargie

ah, figures something that easy was the root cause. Still, with the trend of "context free" development, it still might be at least useful to consider the state technique I outlined. Session variables have been extremely useful in more than just the security features.

• 6. Re: Locked myself out
                    DanielShanahan

Thanks Mike.  Looks like we simultaneously came up with similar approaches.

• 7. Re: Locked myself out
                      pantarhei

Lucky for me you having that problem...

I was looking for advice on a totally different issue (record locking) and Mike Mitchell kindly pointed me here — and I found the answer! My systems do not require much security so I did not even know custom privileges exist. But then again, I have not done much FMP work since version 6.

Interestingly, when a record is locked an attempt to make changes generate (at least) two different dialogs. 

Changes to Edit Box fields, deletions etc: Your access privileges do not allow you to perform this action.

Changes to Tick Box fields: This action cannot be performed because this field is not modifiable.

I hope my client never sees these as this is a bit confusing: there is a big red banner in every relevant layout saying that a record cannot be changed.

• 8. Re: Locked myself out
                        jormond

One thing to be very careful of when using variables in this way...a resourceful user/developer CAN change those variables. And if you are using them to secure parts of the solution, it could open you up to data security problems.

• 9. Re: Locked myself out
                          mikebeargie

well, ideally you'd be locking down menus and any full-access privileges that would let you execute a variable change as well.

That is a good concern though, thanks for pointing it out.

• 10. Re: Locked myself out
                            debi

Joshua made a really good point. I'm pretty sure he's referring to the fact that anyone with FMP Advanced can use the Data Viewer's Watch tab to set a variable in a Let statement. Custom menus do not turn off the Tools menu in FMPA.

Debi Rubel
                            FullCity Consulting

• 11. Re: Locked myself out
                              jormond

Exactly. You can't lock it down entirely (using persistent variables that is).