8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2013 12:43 AM by davehob

Import records - worse than ever in 12?

davehob

OK, so "Import records" was never the jewel in Filemaker's crown, but it seems to have got worse in FM12. Still no sorting of fields in the "source" pane (no change there), but now I can't even scroll through the field list once I've selected a target field - in FM11, the list would scroll when you dragged the target field to the bottom of the window. Now (at least in Windows) it seems you have to park the field temporarily at the bottom of the list, then scroll with the scroll bar, then re-grab the target field to drag it further down the list.

This is real pain. Any tips about how to make Import records less ugly and uncooperative, both in this detail, and in general? (I'm going to be doing a lot of importing during a re-write that I'm embarking on, made worse by adopting a new field naming convention, which means I can't even use "matching field names".)

Dave.

• 1. Re: Import records - worse than ever in 12?
          WKamann

Hi Dave,

sorry I have no idea, but it is one of the most important Feature Request: please improves the Import dialog!

Willi

• 2. Re: Import records - worse than ever in 12?
            LSNOVER

I fully agree, the import and export dialogs need some attention.  They are painful to use, especially with large field sets.  One idea I had was limiting import fields to the fields on a layout, like we can do with exports now.    That said, I would like to have a way of completely scripting the import and export process without the need to use these dialogs (ie. something that can be completely dynamically done at runtime).  Also would like the option of substitute column header/field names for exports.   Would also like to see all the import/export formats supported under Server.  One of those "Red headed step children" in the feature family of Filemaker.  ;-) 

Cheers!
            Lee

• 3. Re: Import records - worse than ever in 12?
              anothersmurf

Interesting. This problem exists on Mac too, and is also new to 12. In previous versions, it would scroll automatically to accomadate moving the field.

The best solution to the awful import dialog would be to allow one to click on a target field and get a box that can be typed in. Type in the field name you want to import to, instead of having to scroll through a long randomly-ordered list searching for it. (If you type a fieldname that doesn't exist, it reverts to what was there; if you get it right, whatever was there before swaps places with what was typed in, just as would happen if you dragged.)

• 4. Re: Import records - worse than ever in 12?
                mbraendle

anothersmurf wrote:

Interesting. This problem exists on Mac too, and is also new to 12. In previous versions, it would scroll automatically to accomadate moving the field.

I can't confirm this for the Mac version (FileMaker Pro Advanced 12v4 on OS X 10.8.4). Scrolling the selected target field works fine even beyond the dialog borders.

Dave: One possible solution for the problem of different field names: If the source file is a FileMaker file, you might carry out an XML export and in the XML file rename the field names in the metadata section to the target names. Then you can import the XML file and use matching field names again.

Edit: Why the hell I had written Rob? Sorry, Dave.

Message was edited by: MartinBraendle

• 5. Re: Import records - worse than ever in 12?
                  flybynight

I would also love to see better handling of .csv and .txt files for import - it doesn't seem to treat the delimiters and qualifiers (",") correctly when they are also used in the data. I've seen other programs that handle this better, so I know it can be done.

• 6. Re: Import records - worse than ever in 12?
                    keywords

I agree with you that the import dialog is clunky to use. If you are doing an import you are likely to repeat, at least you have the option of doing it only once as a script step instead of directly and saving the script for reuse.

• 7. Re: Import records - worse than ever in 12?
                      anothersmurf

I'm also using Advanced 12v4, but running 10.7.5. So could be the issue depends on OS version, but it's still a new problem in 12.

• 8. Re: Import records - worse than ever in 12?
                        davehob

Martin,

Thanks for the suggestion re. XML - sounds hopeful.  I haven't used this before, but will experiment.

Dave (aka Rob?...)