8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2013 9:37 AM by lkeyes

Send and Receive email through FM

MallieWilliams

I want to set up the following:

Users log into a database via remote. Users will select a group of 'people' or 'companies' and send personalized multiple emails to many individuals.

I want these emails tracked in a line item table as well as emailed from within Filemaker 12 and send via SMTP Server.

Files will be attached that will either reside on the server or users desktops.

All info will be filled in via calculations, and the email address sent from will be the same (?).All this easy to do - just not sure of the interface of sending mail directly from within FM and using the server the database is served on...

Is this possible just using FM12 or do I need to use 360Works Email Plugin? What are the advantages to the plug in in this scenario?

• 1. Re: Send and Receive email through FM
          MallieWilliams

I have it so that when I send an email it opens outlook and send. I want to be able to click on a receive button and open outlook to see incoming mail.

• 2. Re: Send and Receive email through FM
            mikebeargie

Do you want to just open outlook to view email? Or do you want to import new mail into filemaker itself for viewing?

If you just want to click a button to open outlook, you can do that via the "Send Event" script step on PC or "perform applescript" step on mac.

Sending a command like this:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\Outlook.exe"

would launch outlook

If you want the latter, where you import/read email into filemaker, then you need a plugin. If you want to read directly from the outlook inbox (IE exchange mail), you will need Outlook or Exchange Manipulator from Productive Computing. If you just want to read in emails from a POP or IMAP account, then the 360works email plugin is fine.

• 3. Re: Send and Receive email through FM
              MallieWilliams

Okay..Thanks Mike! I'm trying to do something like this. Have a layout in FM that shows the emails when you click on them your able to read the messages at the bottom of the page on the layout in FM. If that make sense. Attached is a screen shot of what I'm trying to accomplish.

• 4. Re: Send and Receive email through FM
                mikebeargie

If the account you are reading messages from is exchange, you need PC' outlook or exchange manipulator. Else if those messages are being received in POP/IMAP, then the 360works email plugin works fine for reading messages from a mail server into filemaker records. There is a demo file that comes with that to show you how to download messages and convert them into filemaker records. Then you can use them like any other records in your database.

• 5. Re: Send and Receive email through FM
                  MallieWilliams

Thanks Mike..you have been a great help. I think I may go with the 360Works plug-in.

• 6. Re: Send and Receive email through FM
                    lkeyes

Nothing against the OutLook manipulator, but I found that it was unreliable (for no reasons of its own...) when I attempted to use it.

1. Because OutLook is such a memory and resource pig, if the user has multiple applications open, it is more than possible that OutLook will fail to launch or whatever automation functionality you're trying to execute won't work. This seems to happen without any notification to the user.

2. Worse case, it will hang or freeze the workstation (again....this isn't the Manipulator's fault!) 

3. Very worse case, if the WS is hosting orhter FM users then problem is compounded, if there is a hang.

4. It would be nice to be able to trap these errors beforehand by doing a check of available memory, and putting up a dialog telling the user the situation, and admonishing them to close other open applications before retrying.

Finally, the licensing model is such that if you test on one machine, and then deploy or transfer the license to a second machine, you can't unlicense the second machine to re-license the first machine with the same license. (I think this may be the first time I have ever run into this... lots of applications (iTunes, LogMeIn, Adobe Suite)  as well as Windows nail down a license key to a single machine, using some kind of hardware registration, but I don't think I've ever not been able to deactivate a machine so I could activate the license on another machine. You can call and they will manually reactivate on a previously used  machine; but it adds additioanl time and hassle, when you're going through several iterations of trying to test, debug, and deployment. Probably at a minimum, figure on buying at least one license for your development machine and one for your intended target machine.

I would recommend very careful testing before deploying.

In discussing with other developers, they mentioned similar problems. Again the problem isn't OM per se, but the "house of cards" of Windows+OutLook+FileMaker, plus whatever else the user is running.     

• 7. Re: Send and Receive email through FM
                      mikebeargie

Nothing against the OutLook manipulator, but I found that it was unreliable (for no reasons of its own...) when I attempted to use it.

Have you found anything else that works between filemaker and outlook objects directly?

Nothing against that statement, it's just I've been dealing with it in two of our solutions for over 4 years now, and have never found anything more reliable or better to connect to outlook with.

• 8. Re: Send and Receive email through FM
                        lkeyes

Have you found anything else that works between filemaker and outlook objects directly?

I haven't,  and I would certainly point people to OM if they are looking for anything with that capability.