2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2013 10:42 AM by gdurniak

Pending Field Validation Prevents Enter Find Mode

gdurniak

One of my clients just discovered what seems like a nasty "bug" ( demo is attached )

if one window has a failed field Validation pending, and you do not click off the field, the layout can not enter "find" mode, if a "find" script is run from another window

since the script ends with:

enter find mode

set field to variable

perform find

and it can't enter find mode, the script just sets the field, and changes the record

greg

• 1. Re: Pending Field Validation Prevents Enter Find Mode
          erolst

The failed Commit step throws error no 503; check for it (or any error code, depending), then do your error handling - e.g. revert the record, then do the find, or cancel the find and ask the user to enter a valid value first …

• 2. Re: Pending Field Validation Prevents Enter Find Mode
            gdurniak

I do see that now

The layout mode can not change if a Validation is pending, while "set error capture" is ON

FileMaker assumes that once "set error capture" is ON, you are on your own  :-)

greg

PS

I finally see how this happened

This was a Legacy solution, where set error capture was always OFF, so it worked

We then added a new feature in a sub-script, of a sub-script, where error capture got turned ON.  Yikes !

Fortunately, there is a Get ( ErrorCaptureState ) function, so I could find where it got flipped

Message was edited by: gdurniak