AnsweredAssumed Answered

Need help interpreting server statistics

Question asked by pthomas on Aug 5, 2013
Latest reply on Dec 19, 2013 by GordonShewach

Hello everyone,

I am a bit concerned with some of the stats that I am seeing on our server at the moment (specifically the Elapsed Time, I/O Time and Wait Time).

I am also a bit confused by the numbers showing in the "Average" column and how they are able to change so drastically in such a short space of time. My understanding is the average numbers are calculated based on the server uptime, but if that is the case how are the numbers able to have such massive swings in such a short time?

I don't have the server specs on hand, but if required I can get them off our system administrator. I do know that it is running on Mac OSX 10.8 and the Database cache has been set to 3,072 MB as per the recommendation in the admin console.

Here are some screenshots taken this morning from one of our servers, the server has been running for about 6 days:

1.png

Stats as at 8:48am 06/08/2013:

2.png

Stats as at 9:09am 06/08/2013:

3.png

Stats as at 9:12am 06/08/2013:

4.png

Stats as at 9:24am 06/08/2013:

5.png

Is it normal for the averages to change that much? I would have expected the change in numbers over time to be much smaller given the short period of time I took those screenshots over compared to the length of time the server has been running?

Cheers,

Paul.

Outcomes