7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2013 2:45 PM by MarkNZ

Remote Connection Trouble

MarkNZ

Hi all,

Can someone please lend a hand.

I am having trouble connecting to my DB on my office computer remotely.

fmnet:/121.79.202.xxx/192.168.0.xxx/C:/Users/Office/Desktop/R+Jay+Financial+Services+Ltd.fmp12

I have tried alsorts, Im not using FMServer

I have File sharing on...

In the above address I have my external ( Incoming traffic modem IP) then my computer IP that has the DB on the Desktop.

I have tried
      fmnet:/121.79.202.xxx/192.168.0.xxx/R+Jay+Financial+Services+Ltd.fmp12

fmnet:/121.79.202.xxx/192.168.0.xxx/C:/Users/Office/Desktop/R+Jay+Financial+Services+Ltd.fmp12

fmnet:/121.79.202.xxx/192.168.0.xxx/R Jay Financial Services Ltd.fmp12

I have tried to remotely just put in
      fmnet:/121.79.202.xxx/192.168.0.xxx/ in the Host Favourites.

Is there an easy way to set the address correctly.

Regards Mark

• 1. Re: Remote Connection Trouble
          ch0c0halic

Mark,

Sorry but that will never work. The 'fmnet' protocol only works with a single address, in this case it will be the external computer, 121.79.202.XXX.

AND

Your external modem has to be set to forward port 5003 to your internal work computer, 192.168.0.XXX. Note that the 192.168.X.X series is not an internet accessible IP. It is a LAN only address. Port forwarding is the only way to allow access from outside your LAN. Your IS department at work may not allow port forwarding so you may not be able to set this up.

Once the port forwarding has been set up your FMP Remote address will look like this:

fmnet:/121.79.202.xxx/R Jay Financial Services Ltd

However, since you have spaces in the file name I suggest you add the external IP address to your Host Favorites list and select the DB from the list of available DB's. If the list of DB's doesn't show then either the port forwarding isn't set up right or there are firewall issues or something else that isn't set up right, like maybe your ISP doesn't allow traffic on port 5003. Note that the Favorites should be only the IP address and does NOT include "fmnet:/".

If your IS department is unwilling to set up the port forwarding, and I think that will be the case, I suggest you ask for VPN access to your work computer. This  will set up a secure access point you can use to connect to your internal network. If you are on Mac you can use ARD to control your work computer. If you are on Windows you can use Remote Desktop Connection. Either way you become a user on the Work computer and its just like you were sitting in your work chair.

• 2. Re: Remote Connection Trouble
            MarkNZ

Hi thanks for your answer,

Just to let you know the Ports ( port Forwarding) should be still all set up correctly as i just removed a computer that had FMS installed and accessing it remotely worked fine.

So do you think it should be all ok now that im just sharing FM pro peer to peer (up to 5 users allowed etc.)

Q. Does the romote address look different if accessing FMServer compared to remotely sharing a standard FM Pro DB? if you know what I mean...

Regrads Mark

• 3. Re: Remote Connection Trouble
              MarkNZ

Either way you become a user on the Work computer and its just like you were sitting in your work chair.

Does this mean multiple users can be on the DB at the same time?

and can vpn be setup so users can only see the FM DB ?

Regars Mark

• 4. Re: Remote Connection Trouble
                pmconaway

Multiple user could connect to the DB but you wouldn't want them to VPN in host computer. That's not going to work. Start with the idea that all users are at the office. If you have db shared in Filemaker Pro up to 10 users can access the file. They would use Open Remote and select local hosts. Your computer with Filemaker Pro should show up. Now let's take all this remote. What your other users should do is VPN into their own computers and then follow the above instructions.

Having said all this. I would highly recommend using Filemaker Pro Server. As there are issues with the peer-to-peer sharing. The one foremost in my mind is that you have to have the file open on your computer for others to use. This might cause issues if you need to reboot or put the computer to sleep.

Paul

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Remote Connection Trouble
                  wimdecorte

pmconaway wrote:

I would highly recommend using Filemaker Pro Server. As there are issues with the peer-to-peer sharing. The one foremost in my mind is that you have to have the file open on your computer for others to use. This might cause issues if you need to reboot or put the computer to sleep.

Don't forget that FMP does not have the ability to take live backups like FMS does.  And that is a huge risk that needs to be tackled and tested.

• 6. Re: Remote Connection Trouble
                    pmconaway

I agree. There are a whole host issues. I was hoping Mark would realize that it would just be a lot less hassle to just go with FMS.

• 7. Re: Remote Connection Trouble
                      MarkNZ

Hi Guys. I have decided to Install FMS, so will go through all the Installation stages now...fingers crossed.