6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2013 5:44 PM by ohannis

Auto-Complete challange

ohannis

I have the following Tables.

Table: Product

Field: ID, Part Number, Description

Table: Balance

Field: PID, and bunch of other stuff for balance and inventory calculation

There is a relation between the Product ID and PID.

I have a field in a sales lay out with the following configuration.

PID control style Pop up Menu and Value from set to > Use Values from >> Product ID from Product Table and display values from second field Using Part Number from Product Table. and I have set to show Values from the 2nd table.

I want to be able to use auto complete but the option is not available. how can i make this work? maybe use a variable? or a new relation ?

• 1. Re: Auto-Complete challange
          taylorsharpe

Could it be that the field is not indexed?  You can't autocomplete or use as a Value List any field unless it is indexed. 

• 2. Re: Auto-Complete challange
            ohannis

Well the Auto Complete is not even highlighted I can't check the box.

I have an idea how to do it but don't know the execution. Maybe you can guide me how to do it.

I need to add a new field that will use a value link which is pointing to my part numbers and use auto complete on it. When selecting the part number I need it to trigger the ID field that is going to adjust the inventory.  My question is how can i make a value of field depend on the value of the other field ?

The database I am using is based on this you tube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vKzIGXWv7s if you go to Time 32:30 you will see the process. The auother also has the file for download. What I need to be autocomlete is the part number or in this case the Animal name both in the sales and purchase layout.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Auto-Complete challange
              taylorsharpe

The autocomplete check box should highlight as soon as you click on the field (make sure it is not grouped with other fields / objects).  You must select a Control Style like "Drop-Down List" or "Pop Up Menu".  Then the choice of the Auto Complete will change and give you the option to "Auto-Complete Using Value List".  So you must first have created a Value list that is based on the field you want to auto-complete from and for which is different than your input field. 

• 4. Re: Auto-Complete challange
                Stephen Huston

I seem to recall that the pop-up Menu option requires entry from the menu, not from text entry, so the auto-complete won't work.

However, you should be able to use the keyboard to jump around in the alphabet by starting letter, and I think you can also use the up/down-arrows within the menu.

The pop-up menu option just isn't intended for direct keyboard entry of letter-by-letter text. Or am I wrong and this changed after v11->12 ?

• 5. Re: Auto-Complete challange
                  keywords

If I read you correctly you have the value list on the ID field, but are using a value list displaying the part name. If so, autocomplete is not the right option as the required data for the field does not come from the contents of the list (part name) but from the ID field which is hidden in the list. Having said that, when the list is displaying it should be keyboard responsive, that is you should be able to jump to items in the list as you type.

• 6. Re: Auto-Complete challange
                    ohannis

KEywords you are very correct with what i have ment. So I have tried allthe possible options i still cannot use the keyboard responce to type the part number. It seems that the part number is comming from the ID Field.

any other ideas ?

FYI

The database I am using is based on this you tube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vKzIGXWv7s if you go to Time 32:30 you will see the process. The auother also has the file for download. What I need to be autocomlete is the part number or in this case the Animal name both in the sales and purchase layout.