2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2013 9:25 AM by jasongan

IWP Database Needs to be synchronized with internal database automatically

jasongan

Hello, Forum

I need your advice on how to do this.

Internally I have a FileMaker database including store profile, and orders processing tables. We need to only open store profile data available to our store client.

We have a Windows server that were put outside of the firewall, the client head office is able to access to it via Internet. I am thinking to install FileMaker Server Adv 11 in that

server, and only put the store profile data ( this is only one table ) as another fp7 file, and use IWP to share the store data with the client. The client can only view the store info, and run some query.

My special requirement is: Since we constantly update the store data internally, we need to keep these two database synchhronized. I think if I can schedule a server script in the internal server

to update the ourside database each night. that will be an acceptable solution. Or maybe there is a better solution: once the internal info is changed, the updated info will be pushed to update

the outsite database?

Is there any limitation for server export, and IWP importing for FileMaker Advanced v11?

Thanks,

Jason

• 1. Re: IWP Database Needs to be synchronized with internal database automatically
          Mike_Mitchell

Hello, Jason.

What you're suggesting is possible. However, I'm a little leery of using IWP on the open Internet. There are some lingering security issues with doing so (especially in version 11), which our computer security team discovered during routine scanning. You'll need to do a couple of things:

1) First, configure the FileMaker server to allow only secured connections. You can do this when you deploy Server.

2) Configure IIS on the web server to allow only secured connections.

3) Configure the externally-accessible database to limit field length. You can do that in the Manage Database dialog. This prevents a buffer overflow vulnerability, which can allow a hacker to crash the server.

4) Since this database is being used only for searching purposes, you can limit login privileges to Read Only.

Now, to your original question: I would suggest that, instead of trying to synchronize two separate databases, that instead, you simply use a Separation Model. Just create an interface file on your external server and point it to the required file inside your firewall. That way, your client always has the latest data.

Personally, I'd try to convince the client to buy a FileMaker license, or, barring that, configure it as a Custom Web Publishing page before I'd go with IWP. But that's me.

HTH

Mike

• 2. Re: IWP Database Needs to be synchronized with internal database automatically
            jasongan

Hello, Mike,

Thanks for your answer. I like the most of your idea of "Separation Model". I will try this first and keep you posted !

Jason