11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2013 12:48 AM by davehob

Drop Down List

bmohnsen

Why - when using a drop down list and selecting a value in the list - does the cursor automatically go to the next field?

Go to next object - nothing is selected for the field.

• 1. Re: Drop Down List
          Stephen Huston

Making the selection from the Value List is treated as completing the field, which causes FM to jump to the next field as defined by the layout's Tab Order.

What behavior are you trying to achieve instead?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Drop Down List
            bmohnsen

I want nothing to be selected - is adding a commit script to every drop dwon list - the only solution?

• 3. Re: Drop Down List
              DonCollier

Perhaps you can explain a little more about what you want to achieve so we can guide you in the right directions

• 4. Re: Drop Down List
                bmohnsen

The reason I don't want it to jump to another field - on the iOS - this causes the keyboard to jump up automatically  - I don't want the keyboard jumping up automatically or any other input interface.

• 5. Re: Drop Down List
                  DonCollier

The easiest way to achieve that is to remove them from the tab order. In layout mode under layouts slect "set tab order" and delete the number from the field you don't want it to jump to

Hope that helps

• 6. Re: Drop Down List
                    davehob

Although this works well with drop down lists (which is what bmohnsen originally asked about), I'm having trouble using the same trick with pop-up menus on iOS - sure, removing the field from the tab order prevents the keyboard appearing, but it also leaves the pop-up menu displayed.  It would be nice to have the best of both worlds - i.e. remove the menu after an item has been selected, but not have the keyboard appear.

Dave.

• 7. Re: Drop Down List
                      keywords

Try this:

1.     Clear all tabs on the layout

2.     Create a script with one step—GoToField()

3.     On the field with the dropdown list, set an OnObjectModify script trigger to call this script

• 8. Re: Drop Down List
                        Mike_Mitchell

I use an OnObjectModify script trigger that commits the record (combined with the tab order tricks others have already recommended) to solve this problem.

Mike

• 9. Re: Drop Down List
                          flybynight

I have a similar issue with one of my layouts. The last field in the tab order is a date field with a drop-down calendar. After the user selects a date, it puts them into the first field in the tab order, which is a customer selection pop-up menu. On the Mac, it's not a big deal, because the customer selection fields is just selected with a highlight around it. On Windows, however the customer selction field pop-up menu, well, pops up, which then covers half of the screen and presents the user with a prime oportunity clicking on a different customer, in trying to get rid of that pop-up menu.

My work-around, was to re-order my last few fields so that I have a less-used field after that date field, hence it moves the tab order to that one, instead of back up to the top.

But, I agree, it would be nice to set the behavior to just make the selection and commit, rather than also tabbing to the next field.

Laters,

-Shawn

• 10. Re: Drop Down List
                            keywords

Shawn, the OnObjectModify technique works if the field is last in the tab order also. It works best if contents are selected on entry.

• 11. Re: Drop Down List
                              davehob

Thanks Mike, that works a treat.  I was experimenting with tabbing to a "dummy" field just off the edge of the layout, which works OK, but this is much better.

Dave.