2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2013 7:36 AM by DDoughtie

CSV files with no field name info

DDoughtie

I've run into a situation where I'm being provided a CSV file from a DB2 source to be used an an import source. The file is just record data and contains no field name info. When I convert the file directly from CSV to FMP I never get a prompt asking if I want to import the first record or not. When I try to import and create a new table on the fly the "import first record" dialog on the import mapping prompt is grayed out and the "do not import first record" is checked. The first record, which is plain data, is used to create the fields. This is a bit of a problem as I will never be able to import the first record of the file.

Is FMP assuming that CSV files will always have field names in the first record?

Is the standard for CSV to always have field names as the first record and this old legacy system doesn't know it?

Is there a way to force open the "don't import first record" dialog box?

Has anyone else run into this?

I'm using FMP12 on Mac OS 10.75.

Dan

Dan Doughtie

Augusta, GA

• 1. Re: CSV files with no field name info
          usbc

I just tried a .csv file with no field names (from a bank) using both FMA 11 & FMA12. They both offered the choice to use the first record as data.

Have you used "Get Info" to see what your Mac thinks a .CSV file is?

Else:

"Is there a way to force open the "don't import first record" dialog box?"

I'm pretty sure that if you use a .txt suffix on the file it will do what you want.

Chuck

• 2. Re: CSV files with no field name info
            DDoughtie

I think this was just an anomoly. I think that FMP remembered this file name and assumed it would be handled the same way. I now get the dialog box about how to use the first row. Could be one of those bugs in FMP if the wind is blowing in the right direction you get this behavior. Anyway today I can't reproduce the problem. I'll consider this one closed.