2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2013 6:57 AM by MartinBridges

Setting up access to FM Server

MartinBridges

Morning

We have a database residing on an hosted remote server. I (the in-house developer) access it via a copy of FileMaker on my PC or Mac Mini via a web connection. It runs a second slower than when it's hosted on my machine but performs as I would expect on a remote server and doesn't crash.

In the office, they run their own Windows server. On their server they have a copy of FileMaker Pro (not advanced or server). That then accesses the hosted FM database. Users just have a terminal connection to this server and users access this copy of FileMaker Pro. This is how the local Mac Dealer set it up for them. Is this the right way to have done it? They are not getting any issues re licensing.

What they are experiencing is a much slower experience than me and often (doing the same things) get a message appearing 'sorting records'. This can hang for anything up to 5-6 seconds and then on occasion FM just quits with no message. This can happen 4 times in 40 mins. I'm not experiencing the same issues sitting 10ft away. The only difference being that I'm not accessing it via their terminal server.

Any comments would be appreciated.

regards

Martin

• 1. Re: Setting up access to FM Server
          wimdecorte

Not enough information, specifically about the specs for the Windows TS server.  But the basic deployment is ok:

- one FMS hosting files somewhere (not the on the network I presume but hosted by a hosting provider?)

- one TS server running FMP

- clients accessing the TS server to work with the copy of FMP running there

The slowdown can come from either the network connection between the TS server and the internet, or from the TS server being starved for resources.  What are the specs on that server and how many users connect to it concurrently?

• 2. Re: Setting up access to FM Server
            MartinBridges

Thanks for the feedback.

I have some more info about the TS...

I gather there are 2 servers running TS2003 with about 10 users on each. However at present there's only max 2-4 actual FM users. I'm not quite sure which server the FM software is on. Both server are 32-bit with 4GB RAM. TS-SERVER has a 2.8GHz Xeon processor with two-cores plus hyper-threading and TS-SERVER2 has a 3.2GHz Xeon also with two-cores and HT. TS-SERVER has 2 x 32GB Ultra320 SCSI Hard drives in a RAID-1 and TS-SERVER2 has 2x72GB Ultra320 SCSI Hard drives in a RAID-1.

regards

Martin