AnsweredAssumed Answered

Update to server or server adv?

Question asked by akgilligan on Aug 16, 2013
Latest reply on Aug 19, 2013 by Stephen Huston

I am working on setting up a database for a hospital. We are thinking that we will need to upgrade to filemaker server because of the way doctors will want to access the program. The procedure that will be recorded in the database is not done often, so a doctor will probably have to access it a maximum of once a week. There are five doctors that will occasionally need access, and about five secretaries that will need access occasionally to input the information for the initial calls. Because the secretaries will only need access a very small part of the database, and only occasionally, it seems ridiculous to have to purchase a full license for their computers. We will set it up so that everyone is using the same login and password, with the understanding that only one person can edit at a time. I was talking to a representative from FM and she was confusing me a little- Because it would be expensive to buy licenses for each of these people and it would be ideal if the access could be provided through the internet (doctors would like to be able to input information from home), we thought it would be a good idea to buy the server. With the server, we had the impression that we could set up the database to be accessed through a VPN and that way we would not have to buy any more licenses for individual computers. However, the representative was saying that we would need server advanced to be able to do this and that there were limitations. Is server advanced really necessary, and if so would you recommend it considering our circumstances?

Thanks!

Outcomes