1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 16, 2013 7:04 PM by rfaintich2013

Deleting specific records based on matching field content?

rfaintich2013

There is probably a very easy solution that I just haven't been able to discover. I have only been using Filemaker 12 for a few months, but I'm probably now a bit past beginner—though this question will undoutably send me back to the rank of newbie....

I am going to simplify my problem:

I have a database that is a basic, school class roster. The fields are "LastName", "FirstName" "LastFirstNames" (simple field calculation based on previous two) and then "StudentID" (which is the number attached by the school to the student)

Without complicating things further, I'll just say that I'm also using a layout where there are different buttons like, "Add Student to Roster", "Delete Student From Roster" and when a certain button is pressed, it enables a tab object. In the case of the "Delete Student From Roster", a small box appears, which has a field, "StudentNameDelete" with a drop down menu, based on the value list of "LastFirstNames". There is then a button to the right of that field, "Delete Student."

So, I can't figure out a way to write a script, so that when "Delete Student" button is pressed, a specific record is deleted—the record where LastFirstNames= StudentNameDelete.

I've been trying to figure this out for about 24 hours, but I just don't know how to delete a specific record, based on that match.

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it!!!!

• 1. Re: Deleting specific records based on matching field content?
          rfaintich2013

I think I finally figured it out, and of course, it was a simple answer, I was just improperly using the find matching records function, and then was having a problem in regards to the problem of making sure that there was always one empty record remaining, so that a person could add a student, without overwriting previous records.  All solved!  But I may have done it in a roundabout and tedious way.  It works, that's all that matters!

Nevermind!