4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2013 8:38 AM by DavidJondreau

Validation behavior changed in 12 for separation model?

fishtech

Hi,

I am using the separation model in FM12 and noticing an inconvenient difference in behavior from FM11.

A Required field exists in the Data file with validation Required Value, Allow Override activated. The Required field is presented in the Interface file (using a table occurrence from the Data file), along with some other fields from the same table.

In Filemaker 11 if a user leaves Required field blank, the following is shown when the record is committed:

Screen Shot 2013-08-17 at 6.12.40 AM.png

In FileMaker 12 if the user leaves the Required field blank, the following error is shown when the record is committed:

Screen Shot 2013-08-17 at 6.13.14 AM.png

It is important that the No button is no longer displayed in FM12. The user is no longer able to enter a value in the field at the time of data entry, but must either click Revert and lose changes thus far, or click OK then return to re-edit. In my opinion the problem is exacerbated if Always validate, Required value is selecetd.

This problem causes some design pattern issues for me in 12 that did not exist in 11. Am I missing something obvious, and is this expected?

Many thanks,

ft.