3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2013 10:23 AM by mikebeargie

Change padding, margin, white space in a control on a layout

sechrisman

I would like to change the padding area for controls on a FM GO layout. This is especially important for controls that show a limited number of letters (white space takes up as much space as the letters). See the attached for current and desired formatting. I currently am using conditional formatting for the "N/A" contols so that if there are 3 characters, then the font size changes to a smaller size. This is an "ok" work-around, but 1) size ends up smaller (2nd "N/A" smaller than the "X" in 3rd control --ok, but not the best option) and 2) when user is in "edit mode", the control temporarily reverts back to the larger font and the "A" wraps around. Again ok, but not the cleanest design.

Anyone know how to change/reduce the white padding? Seems it might need to be done in a hack in CSS files.

Thanks-Steve

• 1. Re: Change padding, margin, white space in a control on a layout
          mikebeargie

You can hack the CSS files on the desktop, but that will only apply to a per-machine basis. I am not sure the hack can be deployed to FMGo, since the Go CSS files are not accessible as they are on the desktop.

In general, the default styling of popup menus is not really modifiable. This is a known issue that may be addressed in future versions of the product line. For now, if you can't get to it by removing the default style and re-styling to your parameters, then it might not be possible to set.

Have you tried removing styles all-together and working your way up from an unstyled object?

The re-sizing trick is a good thing to use though, sounds like you've already made some user-centric changes to your design.

• 2. Re: Change padding, margin, white space in a control on a layout
            sechrisman

Mike, thanks for the info. Sometimes the obvious isn't obvious. I'll tweak it a bit, but I took your advice and removed formatting on a drop down list. WOW! So simple and I could even make the font bigger...from 24 to 36.  This isn't the finished product, but wanted to show another visual, since picutres are worth a few words.

beta_modification1.JPG

• 3. Re: Change padding, margin, white space in a control on a layout
              mikebeargie

Thanks, I wasn't quite sure that's what you needed, but glad it helped out a bit.

Once you get that box styled how you want, make sure to use the copy/paste style buttons to set the style of your other popup menus as well.