1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2013 2:45 PM by RonSmithMD

Deployment Wizard Does not start OS X 10.8.4

Greg

Good Afternoon,

This a FMSA 12 install on a new MAC Mini with OS X 10.8.4.

No other programs have been installed.

Install went very well. Installed JAVA 7 as instructed by install.

FMS 12 Start Page opens but the Deployment Wizard does not load. It seems to be trying but nothing happens

Any sugestions will be apprecited.

greg

• 1. Re: Deployment Wizard Does not start OS X 10.8.4
          RonSmithMD

Same problem here just today! I have a host that has FMS12v4 newly installed and I can't do anything with it because the admin start page won't launch. You know for such a highly effective piece of software to rely on Java which is a POJ is beyond me. When is FileMaker going to stop doing the support for Java POJ?

Give me Terminal command lines any day! If anyone knows of a comprehensive command line man page or document that allows me to do everything that the Admin GUI does, could you please post it! I've had it with this nonsense.

Ron

Ron Smith, MD, 'The Pediatric Guide For Parents'

Want to know more about me and my family? Take a look at the free ebook about my daughter below.

Forever And A Day For Laura Michelle

• 2. Re: Deployment Wizard Does not start OS X 10.8.4
            beverly

Isn't there a way to right-click (contextual menu) and have the file "open with" Java? I thought I had to do that once upon a time. Or maybe I did the "get info" on the file and set it to "open with". Once set, it 'stuck'.

Beverly

• 3. Re: Deployment Wizard Does not start OS X 10.8.4
              Greg

Thanks Beverly,

I am not getting that far in the process.  Nothing dowmloads from the Start Page to do anything with.

There does appear to be a blue flash accross the adddress bar of the Start Page but nothing else.

greg

• 4. Re: Deployment Wizard Does not start OS X 10.8.4
                beverly

run the wizard (say tomorrow?) and SEARCH FOR files created (Today) in the menu of any folder window and/or look for "admin_console_init_webstart.jnlp".

I've seen it 'saved' in strange places. And I've had to find all occurrences of the file and delete to be sure it's created freshly when I needed it for such occasions.

Beverly

• 5. Re: Deployment Wizard Does not start OS X 10.8.4
                  RonSmithMD

So you are saying that it is the correct file installed in the wrong location, or a wrong file in the right location?

If its in the wrong location why would I expect the installer to put it in the right location next time?

Why doesn't the installer say that all is not well, or simply put the file in the correct location? This was a fresh install of 12v3 previous to my attempt to upgrade it to 12v4.

Ron

Want to know more about me and my family? Take a look at the free ebook about my daughter below.

• 6. Re: Deployment Wizard Does not start OS X 10.8.4
                    beverly

It does not need to move locations. It just needs to be "opened automatically" by the Java installation. That's where the problem often lies. If you can find the file and make it set to "open with" automatically, the file need not be created again and again. (or if it's created by FMS admin, it would be in the same location each time and the pre-set "open with" should still apply.)

I agree, it should not be this way. I just have had to do this on occasion (unknown variables and I didn't have time to hunt them down!) Once the server admin opens, it opens again the next time. Create the alias to the Server, and the .jnlp doesn't need to be used thereafter.

HTH,

Beverly

• 7. Re: Deployment Wizard Does not start OS X 10.8.4
                      Greg

Beverly,

Do you mean to use Spotlight to search for the file?  I tried a search and found nothing.

greg

• 8. Re: Deployment Wizard Does not start OS X 10.8.4
                        beverly

ok, the file is probably NOT there, Greg.

I was mostly talking about a menu item in the left of any finder window that says "SEARCH FOR" and has the sub-menu 'Today' (& Yesterday, Past Week & other items) I may use the Today (or Yesterday) when trying to see what I've just created/download/saved on my MAC. and maybe my OS is so old  that you don't have that any more....

So maybe the file is not even being created for some reason.

Beverly

• 9. Re: Deployment Wizard Does not start OS X 10.8.4
                          Greg

Beverly,

I found them.  I was looking in my download folder since it was not openning.  When I checked the download icon on the Browser Window there they were [a whole big bunch of thhem]

greg

• 10. Re: Deployment Wizard Does not start OS X 10.8.4
                            RonSmithMD

I found the file here in my installation:

/Library/FileMaker\ Server/Admin/admin-server/admin-client-lib/admin-console-client.jar

It is assigned to the Jar launcher but it still will not launch. Check the console... nothing. No error that I can find.

I'm back to POJ Java.

Ron

• 11. Re: Deployment Wizard Does not start OS X 10.8.4
                              beverly

Hmm, I've got "admin_console_init_webstart" set to OPEN WITH "java web start.app". I'm not sure why you are looking for a .jar file, Ron.

Beverly

• 12. Re: Deployment Wizard Does not start OS X 10.8.4
                                RonSmithMD

Where is your file?

Ron

• 13. Re: Deployment Wizard Does not start OS X 10.8.4
                                  beverly

sometimes it gets created in the Desktop and sometimes in the Documents. YMMV (your mileage may vary), so search by name after trying to create the file.

Beverly

• 14. Re: Deployment Wizard Does not start OS X 10.8.4
                                    RonSmithMD

I have an FMS Start Page, but the Java window never opens. It's not called admin_console_webstart though.

I guess I'm going to remove it and try again.

Ron

1 2 Previous Next