9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2013 8:17 AM by PaulWebb

Validate data entered is a date

PaulWebb

FMA 12

In my script I show a customer dialoge that asks for a start and end date. Each goes into a global field (xdate_start and xdate_end).

I then run an IF statement...

IF[ not isempty(xdate_start) and not isempty(xdate_end)]

I realized that doesn't take into account if the user enters random data. How can I validate that the user enters a date into the field in the format I want? ie. 08/23/2013

Thanks

• 1. Re: Validate data entered is a date
          erolst

Simplest way: use global number EDIT: date!! fields for the input; FM will do the validation for you. Maybe add a custom error message. This way your script can focus on non-empty (try Count ( field1 ; field2 ) = 2; credits to LaR) and startdate < enddate.

As for the format you want: FM accepts any valid date format, so in your example 23.8.013 (mainland European format) would work too; that's OK, because it is stored internally a number, anyway, and you can treat it as such. Use the Inspector to specify the desired display format.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Validate data entered is a date
            PaulWebb

Thanks erlost.

I updated my IF statement to

Count ( GLOBALS::xdate_start ; GLOBALS::xdate_end ) = 2

and

GLOBALS::xdate_start < GLOBALS::xdate_end

That seems do have done the trick. I tried the global numbers idea but ran into problems so I set it back to a date.

• 3. Re: Validate data entered is a date
              erolst

Paul Webb wrote:

That seems do have done the trick. I tried the global numbers idea but ran into problems so I set it back to a date.

Hi Paul,

did I write “global number fields”? (yes, I did…) Of course I meant “global date fields” – sorry if I caused confusion. But it seems you did already use them.

• 4. Re: Validate data entered is a date
                keywords

Hi Paul,

have you tried using the IsValid ( ) function? That will show an error for any field content that is not a valid date.

• 5. Re: Validate data entered is a date
                  PaulWebb

Hi keywords...I did. I tried...

IF[ IsValid ( not IsEmpty ( xdate_start ) ) and IF[ IsValid ( not IsEmpty ( xdate_end ) )

But it let blank entries pass through. I might have left SetErrorCapture ( on ) and it passed right through. I've never used IsValid(). I'll have to test it again.

I exported the script to PDF but it doesn't look like there is a way to attach it. I can do screen captures if it would be helpful to see.

• 6. Re: Validate data entered is a date
                    erolst

Why fuss around with IsValid () if FileMaker does the validation for you?

But if you do, then better correctly.

This test doesn't work as intended:

IF[ IsValid ( not IsEmpty ( xdate_start ) ) and IF[ IsValid ( not IsEmpty ( xdate_end ) )

If xdate_start is empty, then Isempty ( xdate_start ) = 1, the negation is which 0; that is a valid number, so both side of the AND are true, which makes the check pass muster.

(If the field is not empty, then you get a 1, which is equally valid…)

This does:

IF[ IsValid ( GetAsDate ( xdate_start ) ) and IF[ IsValid ( GetAsDate ( xdate_end ) )

But like I said: why bother doing this “manually” when you can use date fields and let FM do the job?

• 7. Re: Validate data entered is a date
                      PaulWebb

Thanks for the example erolst. I did not have my global fields set to always validate. They were set to only validate on entry. Once I changed that I only needed to verify that the fields were not blank. For that I used...

IF[ not IsEmpty ( xdate_start ) and not IsEmpty ( xdate_end )]

The count function you used is a good trick also. Have to keep that in my back pocket.

• 8. Re: Validate data entered is a date
                        erolst

Paul Webb wrote:

Once I changed that I only needed to verify that the fields were not blank.

dateEnd < dateStart? Look into my example file, it has a nicely CF'd button, too …

• 9. Re: Validate data entered is a date
                          PaulWebb

I saw that but I am not using a layout to enter dates. I am using a custom dialoge in my script for the user to enter dates.