6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2013 9:19 AM by user12837

FM 11 Page Break in Middle of Body

user12837

I have a layout with leading and following sub-summary parts based on the same field, and a body part in the middle. Preview mode (and the actual printed version) shows page breaks inserted in the middle of body data. The "Allow part to break across page boundaries" checkbox is cleared.

What stupid thing am I doing?

Thanks,

Tom

• 1. Re: FM 11 Page Break in Middle of Body
          rgordon

Make sure you have the latest rev of FileMaker 11.  FileMaker 11.0v1 and 11.0v2 would not print properly across page breaks. The issue was finally fix in FileMaker 11.0v3.

• 2. Re: FM 11 Page Break in Middle of Body
            user12837

Sadly, I am using 11.0v3.

I’ve attached a file illustrating the problem I’m having.  Can you fix it?

Thanks,

Tom

• 3. Re: FM 11 Page Break in Middle of Body
              mikebeargie

I took a look at this, it is actually NOT cutting off the body parts in your sample. Your parts are only one line high, I color coded it to show it better to you. Take a look again at your file.

Color coding:

-grey = header and footer

-green = p1 subsum

-blue = p2 subsum

-yellow = body part

Note the white line of empty space AFTER the yellow body part at the end of page 2 in preview mode. F:2 33 has it's body part on page 2, and F:2 34 has it's blue subsum part and yellow body part on page 3.

Also, at the end of page 1, notice that there is an empty green bar, this is because it carries over (but does not cut off) the f1: 4 part to page 2.

• 4. Re: FM 11 Page Break in Middle of Body
                user12837

Hi Mike,

You’re right.  I misstated the problem, which is that the break is occurring in the middle of the top-most sub-summary part.  Is there a way to prevent that?

Thanks,

Tom

• 5. Re: FM 11 Page Break in Middle of Body
                  mikebeargie

I'm not sure why the green subsum rows were showing up as two lines high in preview mode while they were only one line high in layout mode.

I am guessing there is some sort of sliding or overlapping going on that's causing it not to break gracefully like the other objects are.

I would start there and see what you find.

• 6. Re: FM 11 Page Break in Middle of Body
                    user12837

Can anyone provide an example of a layout using sub-summary parts which does prevent page breaks between leading and following sub-summary parts based on the same field?  For example, a layout which prevents this from happening:

History:

Figges, Orlando

Guilmartin, John Francis

Miles, Richard

--------------------------------------------------------------(page break)

Morris, Edmund

Fiction:

Eliot, George

If not, can anyone provide a script which prevents this from happening?

Thanks,

Tom