4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2013 5:40 PM by robkeys

Remote Container Storage Workarounds

robkeys

I am developing a text parsing solution for some .txt files our company gets from the State. I'm using a combination of python to parse the files and ODBC to import the parsed records into Filemaker. It's all working great, but i'd like to be able to provide the users a way to upload the raw reports using Filemaker, and then just have my python scripts grab the txt files from the remote storage directory. S far that piece is not working so great. Filemaker Server doesn't allow the selection of other storage locations than the default ([hosted location]/Files/[db name]) for containers for databases it hosts (as far as I know). What I have settled on is just having python reach through the network to the storage folder and get the file to parse it, but I really don't like this solution and am actively searching for some other way to get the file from my container onto the client machine (where the ODBC data source lives) without having to specify the network path in my python script (it's a little insecure).

Note: I've also tried mapping network drives and doing a junction (windows environment, obv.), but since FMS is a service I have to map that drive manually at boot, or before executing my script which is just as inelegant as making python reach into the host machine.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? How did you end up dealing with it?

• 1. Re: Remote Container Storage Workarounds
          keywords

I'm pretty sure that using external secure storage FM controls the location of the stored container assets, but you have some measure of control of storage location if using external open storage. Even so, you would still want to use a central storage location I imagine, especially if your are running Server.

Asset content can be viewed directly inside FM, and interacted with to some extent. If you really need a user to get at the actual stored asset you need to export the asset back out to the client machine (use export field contents). This leaves the stored asset in place, exporting a copy.

• 2. Re: Remote Container Storage Workarounds
            steve.winter

Hi

Thanks for your email. I'm currently on leave until Monday 9th of September with limited access to

email.

If your message is urgent, please forward it to support@msdev.co.uk or call +44 777 852 4776.

In all other cases I'll reply as soon as I'm able.

Cheers

Steve

• 3. Re: Remote Container Storage Workarounds
              wimdecorte

You REALLY should not try to touch the remote container files in any way.  FMS needs exclusive access to them and trying to touch them will interfere with your FM solution.

Enabling OS-level file sharing on the FMS folders is a recipe for disaster.

If you need the container data locally, use a FM script on the client to export the container data to their local hard disk and then work with it.

• 4. Re: Remote Container Storage Workarounds
                robkeys

That is such a simple solution that I can't believe I didn't think of! I just wish I had posted this this morning rather than fighting with it all day. Thanks!