Containers with Multiple Files

Greg

Good Day All,

FMPA 12

FMSA 12

External Storage

Interactive Container

Open

This is my first forray into using FMP 12 Interactive Containers.

I have in mind a digital asset library that will contain training videos and pdf files.

My first question is does each video or pdf require it's own Container or can 1 Container contain many files.

My first attempt at adding additional files resulted in the new file overwriting the older one so that 2 records appeared to hae the same video in them.

Also when I delete one of the records containg a video and then create a new record the video and title appear in the new record.

This seems to be very strange.

• 1. Re: Containers with Multiple Files
          Mike_Mitchell

Greg -

Each container field can contain only a single asset. If you need multiple assets per associated record, then the standard approach would be to create a related table so one parent record can be related to multiple child containers.

As to your second question, I suspect there's an error in your setup such that the ID of the container isn't unique. Check the path definition to the external container and verify that each one is uniquely identified.

HTH

Mike

• 2. Re: Containers with Multiple Files
            keywords

What Mike says; each container can hold only one asset. A note re PDFs though; a PDF with multiple pages is no problem at all, and they can be displayed and scrolled through if set up correctly as interactive, as you are doing. I guess you could make a single record with multiple container fields, but I think much the cleanest, most logical structure would be one record = one asset.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Containers with Multiple Files
              Greg

Good Morning,

Thank you for your reply.  It was pretty much what I expected.

Since this is not a static solution with a known number of videos and pdf files I will need to have available an X number of empty records with emplty Container fiekds abailable for growth.  This is not a problem just one to be aware of.

On a side note while concept tesing I was concerned that the videos would disply on some browsers but not on others.  I finally realized after some loss of hair and way to much coffee that whatever rbowser of choice the user is using a QuickTime plugin must be installed and enabled for the mvie to be displayed.  Viewing PDF files has not presented as many issues but also needs to be tested across mutiole browsers.

Again thanks for the replies...

Greg

• 4. Re: Containers with Multiple Files
                keywords

Glad you are getting it sorted, Greg. However, just one comment; you say:

Since this is not a static solution with a known number of videos and pdf files I will need to have available an X number of empty records with emplty Container fiekds abailable for growth.

I can't see why you need to create empty records. If your assets are stored in their own table you only need to create a new record each time you add a new asset.