4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2013 7:32 AM by Hudi

Relationship Question

Hudi

Hi All,

I'm trying to search (Find>click the boolean checkbox in the portal>perform find...simple) a portal that has a the following relationship:

Screen shot 2013-08-29 at 10.05.27 AM.png

Before I added the _uc_1 = complete_boolean realtionship and it was just the ID relationship, the search worked fine but now it shows this error:

Screen shot 2013-08-29 at 10.07.22 AM.png

Trying to understand why the portal works correctly, showing only records that have been checked as 'complete' and yet the find doesn't work becuase the relationship is invalid. And, what would be a possible workaround to this problem.

FYI, I'm using the Starter Solution 'Event Management'.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Relationship Question
          mikebeargie

Philmodjunk made a note on this error a while ago here:

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/f0a0882c9f

Unstored calculations and global fields cannot be used on the Many side of a relationship as they cannot specifically match to any one record. A stored calculation should update correctly for you without it needing to be unstored. Just don't use a data field with an auto-entered calculation here unless you have no other alternative as that won't update automatically.

What types of fields are used in "_uc_1 = complete_boolean"?

Are they both number fields?

Both stored/unstored?

Is a value auto-entered into either?

• 2. Re: Relationship Question
            Hudi

Thanks Mike,

The _uc_1 field is an unstored calculation, which was the problem.

I guess my question is how does the portal use the relationship while a find cannot? because the portal is working fine.

• 3. Re: Relationship Question
              ch0c0halic

Scenario:

A find between a Parent record and a child record in the child record's field where the parent records key is an unstored calculation or global.

It doesn't work because the FIND is from the context of the Parent, which means from the child record the relationship is used to Find the associated Parents. However, since the relationship is invalid, due to the parents key being unstored, the Child cannot relate back to the parent. Its basically a one-way relationship.

The portal works because its only relating from the parent to the child. A find must be valid both ways to 'Find' the parents.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Relationship Question
                Hudi

That makes total sense. Its where you are performing the find that matters, why didn't I think of that?!

I guess the reason I got confused is because the portal is on the parent record layout. Seems obvious now!

Thanks for that clarification