11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2013 2:19 AM by tomasd

Suddenly FMP12Adv crashes every time I exit layout mode

steverigell

Suddenly, just today, after opening the project I've been working of for week (no changes to system or to FMP12Adv), FMP12Adv crashes everytime I attempt to exit Layout mode to test something in Browse mode.

System is OS X 10.8.4

Processor 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

8 GB DDR3

Tried closing everything else > same result

Tried restarting > same result

Tried the same thing in another project > same result

This is more than a moderate inconvenience; it is livelihood threatening.

Any other information needed?

Any suggestions?

-S

• 1. Re: Suddenly FMP12Adv crashes every time I exit layout mode
          Stephen Huston

This sounds like a corrupt object got added to your layout while in layout mode. My ideas:

If you have a backup of the file from before this happens, go back to it.

If the changes you made in layout mode included pasting anything, you should try removing your pasted objects, as some objects simply don't paste well -- use "insert" from the menu to avoid these issues.

• 2. Re: Suddenly FMP12Adv crashes every time I exit layout mode
            steverigell

Thanks, Stephen-

I think you've identified the problem correctly, though with much more nuance than I was able to ascertain. The curious thing for me was that whatever the corruption was, it happened to two projects simulataneously, but older versions of the same files were functional. I will definitely be wary of pasting from here on.

Appreciate your insight.

-S

• 3. Re: Suddenly FMP12Adv crashes every time I exit layout mode
              CICT

Steve, although you've resolved your query, we thought we'd add another weird view change problem that we've recently started experiencing on more than 1 Mac here with FM Adv12.0v4.

If working in layout mode with at least 1 other window open, for instance displaying another layout from the same database, frequently, but not always, we cannot go to browse, find or preview mode using any of the methods available to us. However, if we then close all additional open windows so that the layout we're working on is now the only open window, then we can select browse, etc. as normal.

Due to impending deadlines here, we haven't had a chance to carry out controlled tests, but it is happening very often now.

We'd be interested to know whether anyone else has experienced similar problems.

Andy

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Suddenly FMP12Adv crashes every time I exit layout mode
                fmpros

I have experienced that problem also, suddenly not being able to go into layout mode or get back to browse when in layout mode.

Deadlines too, I have not had time to experiment to find the particulars, I've just closed and restarted and all is well.

William

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Suddenly FMP12Adv crashes every time I exit layout mode
                  steverigell

William and CICT have indeed contributed to my awareness of potential gotchas and workarounds, but they raise an additional question. Are these issues worth looking into for a common thread?

-S

• 6. Re: Suddenly FMP12Adv crashes every time I exit layout mode
                    fmpros

While I don't feel that this problem is major, it certainly does not interfere in any significant manner with my development, I do get a queasy feeling when it does happen (not very often).  I immediately close all files, close FMP, reopen and close again and sometimes even go through a Save a copy as... (compacted) routine just to feel better (not sure if that really helps, but I feel better).  It is probably some really strange combination of actions during development that binds it up and will also probably be really hard to pin down.  Unless there are users with documented damage from the condition I doubt it's worth the resources to debug.  My 2 cents.

William

• 7. Re: Suddenly FMP12Adv crashes every time I exit layout mode
                      CICT

Steve

To be honest we still find FileMaker 12 so frustrating when working on converted .fp7 files and the list of problems is too great to go through here or as a new thread.. However, when we do get time to enter controlled tests and we do find a bug we report it on the FileMaker Forums web site and have recently had 2 bugs acknowledged by FMI. On the view change, we've narrowed it down to not having to quit FileMaker, but simply ensure only the 1 window is open and then we can continue working.

However, there is still a list of unfixed bugs predating FMP 11, let alone the layout challenges of FMP 12. Some of the bugs in Windows (OS, not as per this discussion) are particularly frustrating, such as not being able to drag scripts or layouts up the script list or manage layout modal windows; the annoyance of having to drop the script/layout name, scroll up, drag it again, drop it, etc. really does affect productivity badly, but it doesn't always happen, making it really difficult to isolate. The same goes with disappearing Windows in the Windows menu in Windows(!) - this has been going on for many versions and is such a basic thing that is needed to do work.

And don't even start me on formatting fields for pop up menus..........

We've been through a huge change moving to .fmp12 and we can only hope that subsequent versions will continue to iron some of these annoyances out (but don't hold your breath!).

Andy

• 8. Re: Suddenly FMP12Adv crashes every time I exit layout mode
                        steverigell

Andy-

Thanks for the hints about Windows. I'm working primarily in OS X right now, but will be compiling a Windows runtime before this project is over, so good to know some of the quirks I should be looking for.

So, in response to William's thoughts, even if these quirks aren't significant to debug or to have FMI recognize as a bug, wouldn't it be useful to have a "Gremlins List" (vs. a Bug List) somewhere with suggested workarounds that people have discovered? It's one thing to say, "I don't know how to do something," and get help from more experienced developers. It's a completely different thing to have FM12 do things that are unexpected and undesirable, regardless of whether they are acknowledged as bugs or not.

• 9. Re: Suddenly FMP12Adv crashes every time I exit layout mode
                          CICT

Hi Steve

The best place to go is to www.filemaker.com and select 'Support' and 'Forums'. Under FileMaker Forums click 'English' and click 'Report an Issue' you'll see all the reports. Also if you go to https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip there is a FileMaker database listing all known bugs you can download and search.

By the way, having subsequently gone on about Windows, the original problem I posted about not being able to change view unless only 1 window was open was using Mac OS X Mountain Lion.

I hope this helps.

Andy

• 10. Re: Suddenly FMP12Adv crashes every time I exit layout mode
                            fmpros

Agreed, at the very least they should be chronicled with behavior, workarounds and and known pitfalls.

William

• 11. Re: Suddenly FMP12Adv crashes every time I exit layout mode
                              tomasd

We have same problems with converted solution (in-house ERP). Our converted files are not reliable without obvious problem. The bad thing is that we have bought licenses last year (SLA) and can't use them now. We can try to rebuild files, but it is long and painful process. We would like to avoid this, but I think it will be necessary.