9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2013 9:44 AM by steverigell

Runtime app craziness

steverigell

After deleting all the layouts I did not want to include in a runtime version of my app and also deleting all the records in the database, I compiled a runtime version that contained unexpectedly contained artifacts of both records and layouts that had been deleted. How can I make sure these remnants of development are excluded?

Using FMPro12Adv on an Intel Core Duo PowerBook Pro

-S

• 1. Re: Runtime app craziness
          wimdecorte

Can you give an example of what those remnants look like?

• 2. Re: Runtime app craziness
            steverigell

Here's a bit more information. I'm new to the runtime aspect of FM, so let me know if more information is needed. When I compile FM generates two files, one with a .app extension and one with a .fmp extension which I specified when selecting options for the runtime version.

When I try to open the .app file all I get is a blank screen with no menues or records whatsoever.

When I open the .fmp file, it opens to the a layout that had been deleted prior to the compile. For example, I had experimented with an iPad layout, but am only compiling for Desktop at this time, so had deleted the iPad layout so as to avoid confusing Desktop users. The .fmp file opens to the iPad layout and it contains a record with data that had also been deleted prior to the compile.

In fact, the full menu of layouts is still showing up in the layout dropdown, even though in the version I compiled from, they were deleted. I was a little shocked to find that FM had automatically created a new layout for every unique record identifier I had creates from my linked tables. I've deleted all these in my working file, but they keep showing up again when I compile the runtime.

HTH,

-S

• 3. Re: Runtime app craziness
              steverigell

Update-

This just keeps getting stranger.

I just discovered that what I reported earlier contained some errors. The .fmp file referenced above, when double-clicked to open was actually opening a previous runtime version in a completely different directory. The file being opened had a completely different name and was in another directory. I have no idea how the two of them got linked together.

So, after dragging that previously compiled runtime to the trash and deleting, I tried the .fmp file again. Both files now open to a completely blank window with no features whatsoever except the OSX borders and sliders.

Is there a resident runtime expert out there?

-S

• 4. Re: Runtime app craziness
                steverigell

Workaround update-

Apparently, the runtime wants to use the iPhone layout as the default. The iPhone layout is just an experimental version, but for some reason, it seems to be essential to the app now. Deleting the iPhone layout prior to compiling the runtime seems to be causing the blank window referenced above.

Is there a way to specify the default layout for a runtime version when multiple layouts are included in the runtime version? Or, is there a way to set the default to the Desktop Layout so I can delete the iPhone layout from this runtime version?

Thanks,

-S

Message was edited by: steverigell

• 5. Re: Runtime app craziness
                  PeterWindle

You may want to check the binding key the solution was created with, on Mac, you would also want to make sure that you get info on the fmp file and choose "Open With" to ensure it's selecting the correct application.

When in doubt, you can still use the original fmp file and re-bind.

• 6. Re: Runtime app craziness
                    PeterWindle

On startup, you should check for the platform and go to the appropriate layout based on this.

• 7. Re: Runtime app craziness
                      steverigell

Thanks, Peter-

That makes sense. Is there a general script library available for generic items like this?

-S

• 8. Re: Runtime app craziness
                        PeterWindle

Script library? All script steps are neatly organised in the scriptmaker ;-)

As for "real" examples, take a look at the sample files that come with FileMaker, there is some good stuff in these for platform handling.

• 9. Re: Runtime app craziness
                          steverigell

Thanks for your help, Peter-

Thanks to you tip, I was able to cobble together a script that delivered the right layout for my beta users.

-S