2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2013 9:00 AM by liyangao

How to selectively insert two signature files in a letter automatically

liyangao

I was creating letters in FileMaker 12. I have the electronic signature from two doctors. I have a flag field to tell which doctor's signature should be inserted in the letter. My problems is that how to automatically insert the right signature file between the two docotors. I knew I can manually do this through File->insert ->File. But I want to do it automatically and I cannot find a function called insert. Any idea how to do this.

Thank you very much for your help!

Liyan

• 1. Re: How to selectively insert two signature files in a letter automatically
          Mike_Mitchell

Liyan -

There are a couple of ways to accomplish this.

1) You can use a calculated container field, where the results of the field are equal to one of two (or more) containers stored in a separate table, based on the value in a third field. For example:

Case ( doctor = "Doc1" ; commonTable::doc1sig ; doctor = "Doc2" ; commonTable::doc2sig )

This method is OK if you have a limited number of signatures, but falls down very quickly if your number of signatures expands. It's also not very flexible.

2) A better, more flexible, more relational method involves the use of a "doctors" table that includes the key for the doctor in question, along with a container field that stores each doctor's signature. You then set up a relationship between the letter table and the doctor table on the doctor key field. You then display the appropriate container field as a related field on the letter. That way, if you add a new doctor, you just create a new record (along with his scanned signature) in the doctors table, and everything works just fine.

HTH

Mike

• 2. Re: How to selectively insert two signature files in a letter automatically
            liyangao

Hey, Mike,

I tried the better way you suggested and it worked like a charm.

Thank you so much for your help,

Liyan