4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2013 8:30 AM by Greg

Print/Save Restrictions for Container Field IWP

Greg

Good Morning All,

I have PDF files displaying in Enhance Interactive Container fields and they look really good.

Is there a way to prevent a user from saving or printing a copying while viewing the PDF file while using IWP.

I have tried setting the security in a Group [no export, no print] but did not prevent printing and saving.

Ant suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank You,

greg

• 1. Re: Print/Save Restrictions for Container Field IWP
          Mike_Mitchell

There's no way I know of, Greg. The security settings on the PDF might provide a way (I've never played with them), but it's unlikely to do you much good. By definition, if the information appears on the user's screen, he at the very least can take a screen capture and print or save the results of that.

Just out of curiosity, what's the intent? To keep users from sharing documents with someone who's unauthorized?

Mike

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Print/Save Restrictions for Container Field IWP
            Greg

Thanks for your reply...

Yes I am finding out what you descripe to be true.  I find it ironic that in IWP one can not print or save unless it happens to be in an enhansed container field.

The originator of the PDF files is looking at Acrobat options for encrypting the files which may help but as you say if it's on the screen it can be captured in various ways.

As to why, you are again right in that they do not want the viewer to be able to share the information with an unauthorized person.

greg

• 3. Re: Print/Save Restrictions for Container Field IWP
              Mike_Mitchell

I had a client ask the same question once. "Can you stop people from printing / saving a copy of the PDF?" To which my answer was, "Not really. And if you don't trust them with the content, why are they allowed access to it in the first place?"  

The point being, there will always be a way for an unscrupulous insider to share information he shouldn't. Even before computers, there were spies who did that. So it's really up to the person granting access to have some level of confidence in the people he's granting access.

Mike

• 4. Re: Print/Save Restrictions for Container Field IWP
                Greg

Well said.

Thanks Mike

greg