mikebeargie

Technet trend - outsourced developers?

Discussion created by mikebeargie Expert on Sep 5, 2013
Latest reply on Sep 11, 2013 by erolst

Not to stick a 10' pole into a hornets nest to stir up some controversy, but I wonder if other people on technet have noticed a growing trend?

It seems to me that there's a LOT of "just joined the community" developers, sometimes with rather poor English, asking for help once and then not contributing ever again. Most of the time the questions are highly focused on a single, highly specific task. Sometimes the questions are easily answered by the most basic documentation or google search.

I'm not one to ever deny support to people that are interested in learning Filemaker, or have a genuine interest in the platform. But if there are developers just coming in for a "dine and dash" Filemaker project, should that affect the help we offer?

What really drew my suspicion is seeing some of these people post questions that I know are related to projects I've seen posted on places like elance.com and odesk.com.

I'm not out to say that these types are taking food out of the mouths of Filemaker professionals, but I will say that I think it's bad for the general image of the Filemaker Developer Community (as a whole), to see developers that know nothing about Filemaker taking on paid projects. While it's great that Technet now has over 50,000 members, how many of these members actually care about Filemaker?

Could a subpar product delivery from them give US a bad name? Have you ever had to fix an "offshored" solution? Are you thinking "shut up Mike and just keep answering questions" to yourself right now? What are your thoughts?

Interested to hear what other people think.

Outcomes