3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2013 12:11 PM by dzempel

Pop Up Value List in FM Go...Choosing Easier and Displaying Better

dzempel

Hello All,

I am working on an FM Go 12 project that contains a pop up list of Vendors. The list contains hundreds of values. On the Desktop you can Auto Complete using Existing Values. This is great because if I type "j" it filters my list to all vendors that start with a j. Here I can see that my vendor exists or it doesn't. If it does I choose it from the value list. If it doesn't I keep typing and when I exit the field it will create the vendor on the fly.

The issue is that my users will be mostly using Go, not desktop, specifically when they enter Vendor information. On Go you can't use auto complete which means to get to my S's I have to scroll, scroll, scroll. Does anyone have a suggestion for me to make this easy for the user? I've thought of many ideas but all require some form of extra work for the user and is not acceptable.

The second issue is that on SOME of my pop up lists they expand and cover the keyboard and the Next and Previous buttons. So, in the case where the vendor doesn't exist in the list and I want to type my own Vendor name, I can't see some of the keyboard and can't get to the next field when I am done. Has anyone experienced this and what did you to to overcome the issue? For now I set the field to Go To Next Object using Return so the Return button changes to a Next button. This allows me to get to the next field but it doesn't solve the problem of being able to type keys on the keyboard when they are blocked.

Thanks for any thoguhts on this matter!

Debbie

• 1. Re: Pop Up Value List in FM Go...Choosing Easier and Displaying Better
          Mike_Mitchell

Hello, Debbie.

There are a couple of things you can do to alleviate the "list too long" issue.

1) If your list can be split up into logical groups, you can implement a hierarchical value list, where the user chooses first a group, then the particular value within that group. One extra step, but does cut down on the finger-swoosh shuffle.

2) You can implement a list view selection, where you take the user to a list view with the various selections. Tapping the correct value takes the user back to the previous screen with the appropriate value held in a variable (usually), to be inserted into the appropriate field. This can be enhanced with a global search field that can cut the size of the list down to something manageable.

HTH

Mike

• 2. Re: Pop Up Value List in FM Go...Choosing Easier and Displaying Better
            Stephen Huston

I particularly recommend Mike's option #2, as list views in GO scroll really fast when needed, and it's an interface which doesn't give the feeling of obstructing the user's view of what they are trying to do.

• 3. Re: Pop Up Value List in FM Go...Choosing Easier and Displaying Better
              dzempel

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.  Both of those ideas, as well as others, I had already thought of but was trying to keep the number of steps/layouts down based on the client's request.  I was just hoping someone would say, "Oh, you just need to change this setting" and then I could reply with "Duh! I should have thought of that!"  Unfortunately, I was afraid the answers would be, "You need to create a work around".  But, thanks for the reply and I will see what the client prefers when we discuss these anomalies!