2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2013 6:46 AM by Mike Duncan

View PDF in container or Export PDF

Hello,

As we will be connecting to our database trough the internet I was wondering witch choice would be preferable / faster :

1) View a PDF in a full - screen size container (and keep it on the Filemaker Server ) or ....

2) Export the PDF to the local desktop and let the user view it in Acrobat Reader

The PDF's are sometimes 15 pages long

Kind regards

Xavier

• 1. Re: View PDF in container or Export PDF
          mikebeargie

My recommendation, based on the thought that users are more familiar with acrobat than Filemaker, is to use method 2.

I would export to a temp directory so the PDFs don't pile up in their documents or desktop.

Actually, if you're in an all MAC environment, method #1 might be a better fit, as I like the in-container preview better on mac.

Neither method I think will really be noticable for speed. You still have to load some content down to the user to view it.

• 2. Re: View PDF in container or Export PDF
            Mike Duncan

I recently worked out a solution that included uploading a PDF in a webviewer, storing it in an Amazon S3 bucket for inexpensive cloud based storage, and then referencing the URL to display the PDF in a web viewer back in the database. Permissions were handled by my php script, and I have another script that retrieves and serves it up to the web viewer, so I can control that content is only available via my application.

Works nicely and I don't have to worry about running out of space on my server.

1 of 1 people found this helpful