1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2013 8:41 AM by intex

Filemaker 12 runtime able to convert FM11 file??

PeterWindle

Can anyone please confirm if a FM12 runtime solution can convert a FM11 file?

If not, can anyone recommend another way of doing this?

• 1. Re: Filemaker 12 runtime able to convert FM11 file??
          intex

no

there seems to be a standalone converter for paying TechNet members, but I don´t know if you are allowed to give it away as a download for your customers if even normal not paying TechNetties aren´t allowed to get this thing.

Quite a disaster for Runtime-solutions-builders - we offer the conversion as a costfree service for our customers.

• 2. Re: Filemaker 12 runtime able to convert FM11 file??
            Steve Wright

The runtime engine can convert a fmp7 file to fmp12 format if run with full access privelages, ie via a script.   At least from my brief test, unless I am missing something? 

I created a script containing:

Convert File[]

Import Records[]

[x] run script with full access privelages

I then deployed it as a runtime, removing admin privelages from the database.

After seleecting an 11 fp7 file, the conversion completed and the import dialog opened showing the records, although I didnt import, its clear that the runtime could converted the file.

I also set the bind key, extension and name matching that of the original 11 runtime, although aside from the bind key, im not sure the others make any difference.

• 3. Re: Filemaker 12 runtime able to convert FM11 file??
              PeterWindle

well, shoot! I did not even see the script step Convert File!

;-)

Happy days!

Thanks

• 4. Re: Filemaker 12 runtime able to convert FM11 file??
                intex

sorry, just built a test runtime with one field and one script with only the convert script step in it - full priviledges granted

I can open a fp7 file, but then I get

could not open file, because it is not part of the solution

That sounds resonable, because the old file of the old solution of course is no part of the new solution.

Same binding key and extension for old FM7 and new FM12 solution doesn´t seem to be a good idea in my eyes.

• 5. Re: Filemaker 12 runtime able to convert FM11 file??
                  PeterWindle

Yes, I get that when it converts, it creates a new fmp12 file, which is sort of ok, because then I can import data from the converted file, into another runtime file anyway, which is sort of what I'm aiming for. I can convert the old runtime file with the new runtime application and then run a script in my new runtime that looks for the "converted" file within the same directory... then import from this file. I think it might work for me, thanks again!

• 6. Re: Filemaker 12 runtime able to convert FM11 file??
                    intex

but the file isn´t converted - the new renamed file is still in the old format ...

• 7. Re: Filemaker 12 runtime able to convert FM11 file??
                      PeterWindle

ok, I get you now. I wonder if it makes any difference if you specify Filetype = All available within the convert file dialogue...?

• 8. Re: Filemaker 12 runtime able to convert FM11 file??
                        intex

not to my experience

• 9. Re: Filemaker 12 runtime able to convert FM11 file??
                          PeterWindle

Weirdness, I just tried this myself and although I do get the message that the file can not be opened because it is not part of the solution, yet there are two interesting things here:

1. I'm not aksing it to be opened, just asking to convert it. and

2. The file IS actually created, but not converted. REALISATION, this script step is NOT compatible with bound solutions!

• 10. Re: Filemaker 12 runtime able to convert FM11 file??
                            intex

that´s what I said right in the beginning - it is NOT working. :-(

• 11. Re: Filemaker 12 runtime able to convert FM11 file??
                              Steve Wright

Very strange, its not what I am seeing.

I just tried again ensuring that the original file is a bound runtime file (with admin removed) and not an unbound file, lots of those on this machine   anyway, it is a runtime file..

In the new bound 12 runtime, the script (as above) runs through fine.

After selecting the old file and setting a new name for the converted file, the lengthy conversion process begins, complete with a conversion.log.. 

The file is 100% being converted to fmp12 format and not just being copied / renamed and un-touched.  After the runtime conversion, I can also open it directly in Pro Advanced 12 without further conversion (as I expected)

So, there has to be something preventing the conversion from proceeding.

I wonder if its something to do with with/without dialog or with/without a file reference options in the script step, since I used none for the test and manually selected the appropriate file.

P.S the name / extension was just for testing, ill try a few more tests my end to see if any changes cause it to fail as you are explaining.

Steve.

• 12. Re: Filemaker 12 runtime able to convert FM11 file??
                                intex

I have no options activated in the convert script step too, I manually choose the file to convert.

I can´t take the same binding key and extension for old and new runtime, since that could bring up problems.

There is no conversion taking place, only the message

"could not open file, because it is not part of the solution"

appears, a new file is created though, but that is still fp7 format.

• 13. Re: Filemaker 12 runtime able to convert FM11 file??
                                  Steve Wright

The bindkey is the problem.  If I choose a different bind key, then I also get "The file cannot be opened because it does not belong to this solution"

A copy is made of the file, but it remains .fp7 and the conversion promptly aborts.

With the same bind key, it works.

Edit: Name / Extension / automated options (without dialog etc) have no effect, its just the bind key.

• 14. Re: Filemaker 12 runtime able to convert FM11 file??
                                    intex

but with the same bind key people might get confused when trying to open files or determine with which runtime version what file has to be opened and can be opened. Different bind keys for different versions make much more sense than always using the same key.

Furthermore you can never convert any fp7 file from a runtime, no chance for building a multipurpose converter

1 2 Previous Next